Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Checking a used Automatic Transmission

Checking a used Automatic Transmission

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Checking a used Automatic Transmission

• Creator
    Topic
    Darian BogartDarian Bogart
    Participant

Hello I have a 1996 v6 mustang and the transmission was burnt out when i bought it. So I am trying to buy one. It is a automatic transmission from a 1995 v6 mustang. The people at american muscle told me it would fit. Does anyone know if that is true? Does it bolt on directly? Also any tips on inspecting the transmission before i buy it? Thanks for any help!!!!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Chris OrozcoChris
      Participant

Fitment I am not sure but I assume it would if it comes off the same engine. Check for that first. Another thing to look for is the vehicle you are getting it off of’s service history. If the car was neglected and run with old dirty fluid most of its life it is probably not a good buy

Jonathan StiverJonathan Stiver
        Participant

Pull the dipstick and check the condition of the fluid in the junkyard transmission. If it’s red or pink that’s a good sign, brown is fine but if it’s too dark or smells burnt, don’t bother. If possible you can also pull the transmission oil pan and check for excessive metal shavings or debris inside and on the pan magnet. Some is normal but again if the fluid or inside of the pan is shiny from metal filings it’s not a good sign. Keep in mind that if the transmission failed on the original vehicle, this may be a common failure for that model, meaning there’s a higher chance another used unit will have problems as well.

BluesnutBluesnut
          Participant

The auto parts reference shows 3 different transmissions available for the 96 and 2 different ones for the 95 with none of the numbers matching. This means there is a difference although I cannot tell you what it is. They’re matched to the VIN.

Even if it was a dead-on fit automatic transmissions are a coin toss as to whether they are good or not. Even if the fluid is clean and there is no debris in the pan all of the rubber seals inside are aged. Those aged seals can cause pressure losses and eventual failure of the transmission.

RobRob
            Participant

you can call up the auto part store and ask them if they are the same part number if they are diffrent then you will have to figer out what is diffrent and can you use it

RobRob
              Participant

personally for me I wouild replace the fuild filter and the vaulve body gasket because I know they are sometimes bad and maybe some seals but its up to you on how easy it is to replace if its bad on the one your replacing from… now you have to look at is it a remanf or a junk yard part.. and will the warrity it and how hard is it to replace if ithe new one is bad

MikeMike
                Participant

This page has a bit of info on those transmissions.

Apparently, the ’95 used Ford’s AODE (Automatic Overdrive Electronic), while your ’96 came with the re-named 4R70W transmission. From reading the page, it sounds to me like both of them are essentially the same transmission, but with different internal gear ratios.

Pure speculation on my part, but I’d say the replacement transmission should bolt right in, but I can’t say if there are differences in the wiring harnesses and electrical connectors between the ’95 and ’96 models. Now, given the differences in the gear ratios between the two, I think you’re taking a small step backwards by putting a ’95 trans into a ’96. You might be better off shopping around for a ’96 or newer.

Chris OrozcoChris
                  Participant

[quote=”stiv625″ post=169517]Pull the dipstick and check the condition of the fluid in the junkyard transmission. If it’s red or pink that’s a good sign, brown is fine but if it’s too dark or smells burnt, don’t bother. If possible you can also pull the transmission oil pan and check for excessive metal shavings or debris inside and on the pan magnet. Some is normal but again if the fluid or inside of the pan is shiny from metal filings it’s not a good sign. Keep in mind that if the transmission failed on the original vehicle, this may be a common failure for that model, meaning there’s a higher chance another used unit will have problems as well.[/quote] Keep in mind that most junk yards drain all of the fluid out of the transmissions

Andrew LarsonAndrew Larson
                    Participant

95 should be obd1, and 96 is obd2, so I would guess that the wiring harnesses are completely different.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…