Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • “Chekov” killed by a Chrysler product

“Chekov” killed by a Chrysler product

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion “Chekov” killed by a Chrysler product

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Lon WillisLon Willis
    Participant

Look forward to the July 22 Release of his last Star Trek.
      My view on Chrysler is that it was the car company that always played “CATCH UP” with the other big car companies.

So sad that happened to him.

zerozero
      Participant

It’s pretty fucked up. Those shifters are weird. They don’t visually or physically indicate the position. I’ll let this video do the explaining:

His vehicle was one covered under said recall and FCA says it’s going to investigate.

From what I’ve seen in comment sections around there may or may not be a fix for the recall either. It sounds like one of the potential fixes is a software update that puts the transmission in park if the driver’s door is opened. Somewhere over a million vehicles fall under the recall.

Interestingly enough, the new models have an old fashioned shifter. I’m not some technophobe, but just give me mechanical shifter, even if it’s not attached to anything. And a mechanical parking brake.

Jason WhiteJason White
        Participant

RIP. Sad. Blunt force aphfixia so he basically was pinned and couldn’t breathe.

[quote=”DaFirnz” post=168404]It’s pretty fucked up. Those shifters are weird. They don’t visually or physically indicate the position. I’ll let this video do the explaining:

His vehicle was one covered under said recall and FCA says it’s going to investigate.

From what I’ve seen in comment sections around there may or may not be a fix for the recall either. It sounds like one of the potential fixes is a software update that puts the transmission in park if the driver’s door is opened. Somewhere over a million vehicles fall under the recall.

Interestingly enough, the new models have an old fashioned shifter. I’m not some technophobe, but just give me mechanical shifter, even if it’s not attached to anything. And a mechanical parking brake.[/quote]

You can see how that shifter design could cause problems and it blows my mind that Chrysler didn’t see it. Fact is that when it comes to some things, people are only really comfortable with what they know. Nissan/Infiniti’s I-key for several years still used a manual key like switch to turn on the column for this reason. First evolved the push button on the upper end Infiniti’s first, then to the nicer Nissan’s, but they are still using a manual key with a lot of there base models because “base model” people usually don’t have the brains to figure out the push button.

The PRNDL switch is so outdated but it’s what people know. It cost more to adapt old tech to new equipment but still, as you can see what happens when they change things. As far back as the 50’s they had push button gear selection but when back to a “shifter” style because it caused problems. The prius and leaf have a totally different shifter and they don’t seem to have any real issues.

Know what…. always set your parking brake.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…