Menu

Chevy Silverado brake issues

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Chevy Silverado brake issues

• Creator
    Topic
    pinsetternutpinsetternut
    Participant

Hello all,

Hope all is well… a buddy of mine has a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500, I have serviced the brakes in it every since he bought it used…
      It has 4 wheel disc brakes and i’m never happy with results of how pedal feels when done, Lot of travel in my eyes…
      Anyways, Last week he blew a brake line several miles from home, A garage repaired his line screwed up his bleeder screws sent him on his way without topping off master, He drove all the way home with pedal going to floor…
      Either way, I saved his rear bleeder screws because those calipers were not that old, Replaced his front caliper assemblies bleed the whole system manually And i figured for sure pedal would feel great but still lot of travel and spongy to me, I feel 4 wheel disc should feel quite awesome…
      Took baack home bleed master cylinder and still the same, System never seems to feel firm and lot of travel, my budy fellt they were the best since he owned the truck but something still not correct…
      What you guys think???

Thanks
      Mike

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BillBill
      Participant

I have noticed when driving trucks like that one they mostly all have the same feeling. I’m not sure why though. Some seem worse than others. My boss has the same truck and he used to complain but gave up complaining about it. We never found a problem.

I did some research on the complaint and it seems to be a very common problem but i didn’t find a concreate answer.

I will continue to search to find an answer for you and post it here if i do.

pinsetternutpinsetternut
        Participant

Thanks for reply

Yeah frustrating for sure… Even flushed whole system, very clean fluid,bleed nice, Wonder about the bleeding of the ABS with scan tool?? Does not make sense to me because it bleed nice

My truck is a 2007 silverado with rear drum brakes and man they feel awesome

Mike

JamesonJameson
          Participant

yeah i think that some of what you feel is normal for that truck.

if it is in the design, maybe they just too much clearance at the pedal pushrod.

OR if there actually is a problem:

Maybe there is a weak rubber brake hose that is swelling under pressure.
            If the pedal sinks slowly (which it doesn’t sound like from your description) master cylinder could be leaking internally.

pinsetternutpinsetternut
            Participant

Clearence at pedal push rod is great, I looked at that also…

Pedal stays when there, no sinking… Good point on the swelling brake hose though, Wonder if that can be seen with eyes

college mancollege man

based on the brake line broke. that tells me the other
                lines are stressed and should be replaced. The hydraulic
                expansion is taking the pressure away from the calipers
                where you need it. I would change the stock rubber lines.
                If you want a better pedal feel. upgrade to braided stainless
                steel lines.They won’t expand under pressure and send the fluid
                to the caliper.

pinsetternutpinsetternut
                Participant

You barely touch pedal and grab wheel, front brakes seem to grab and lock tight quick, so thats what makes me think hoses are good

Andy WhiteAndy White
                  Participant

Had the same problem with a 2000 chevy truck the cure is to either use a scan tool to Purge the ABS System out then bleed the rest of the system at the bleeders one last time OR go out to a gravel road and do some hard ABS Stops, then go back and re bleed at each wheel once more and it should feel really good. ive done this and its a MAJOR Difference.

Dave OlsonDave
                    Participant

It sounds like there is air trapped in the ABS module and it is a pain in the a## to get it out, do like others have suggested and use the scan tool to purge the ABS.
                      Also the seals in the master cylinder could be bad and fluid could be leaking past them back into the reservoir.

pinsetternutpinsetternut
                      Participant

Thanks for the replies guys

The scan tool just allows you to turn on relays and activate the ABS correct?? And that helps the air escape??
                        If so getting them to activate on a gravel road or something would probably help a ton as mentioned above…
                        I do remember seeing alot of bubbling going on in master when pumping brakes it seemed, Maybe the seals are bad in that puppy

Thanks a bunch
                        Mike

MattMatt
                        Participant

The automated bleed is slightly different then just cycling the abs system. It actually allows the pedal to drop to the floor, then will push the pedal back up while the pump is running. You will not get the same bleeding effect by doing an abs stop.

pinsetternutpinsetternut
                          Participant

Interesting GTA Matt,

Thanks a bunch for the info

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…