Menu

Coil spring change

• Creator
    Topic
    Martin BatesMartin Bates
    Participant

Hey Eric hopefully this is the right place, I’ve watched and still watch your repair and quick tip videos and have learned a lot from you, anyways I like maintaining my own car as garage labour in the uk is expensive.
      the problem I have is a broken rear coil spring and has made my car sag by about 4-6 mm the setup is called Independant so the springs are on there own and the shocks are behind them if that makes any sense (see attached pic) any way would i just have to undo bottom shock absorber fastener to let the control arm wheel hub assembly to lower down the components then twist/pull out old coil spring? and replace the new one the same way?

the car is (probably not known in the usa)Again see photos

MITSUBISHI GRANDIS 2005 2.0 DI-D (VW/AUDI TDI ENGINE)
      :cheer:
      Thanks and keep up the good work

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JaneJane
      Participant

A good tip is to use a lorry tie strap to pull the arm back into line. use a trolley jack to (after removing the suspension arm inner bolt)lower and raise the suspension arm and therefore the spring leaving the shock attached. You will of course have to be careful not to let it slip. the broken spring is relatively loose once the weight is off. The new spring may mean you need to disconnect the shock to get it in. Once again I stress if you feel at all uncomfortable about doing this, get someone who knows what they are doing to do it. This can be a dangerous job if it all goes wrong, people have been fatally injured working on springs.
        Be safe!
        Jane

Martin BatesMartin Bates
        Participant

I see what you mean I sort of had that in mind what you have explained its going to be a pain to do but i would rather do it with a mate than the dealers! but hey thanks for the reply just waiting for the springs now in the mail just to be sure im going to do both rear coils as a pair to prevent any height related issues as vehicle inspections in the UK are pretty piccy when it comes to suspension components. Take care.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…