Menu

Coolant issue!

• Creator
    Topic
    Michael ZaragozaMichael Zaragoza
    Participant

Okay everyone, back again with my Integra. Recently, my car started overheating. I would top off the radiator and it would do it again the next few days. The cap was broken, so I replaced it. It started to overheat again. I then noticed the reservoir was completely full and I didn’t add anything to it. I thought maybe my thermostat was bad, so on my way to O’Reilly, I noticed there was a leak at the bottom of the radiator. I replaced the radiator, thermostat and gasket and no leaks. I know this is a BIG NO but I put water in my car instead of coolant, I know I know, this is bad. My question is, I can see suction bubbles in the reservoir and I still have to top off the radiator. Could this be because my new thermostat is working properly and evaporating the water in the radiator??

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      haydenhayden
      Participant

Make sure you put the themo stat in the right way, make sure you correctly bleed the air out of the cooling system. As for the overheating, Check everything for leaks, hoses etc. Make sure your thermo fans work. You can do this by waiting to see if they kick in at operating temperature or you can turn your air con on. Make sure the radiator cap you got is the correct one, make sure there is no shit infront of the radiator blocking airflow. If still no luck check your waterpump make sure its not faulty. (mate of mine had a bad a faulty waterpump causing overheating and making it put the coolant in the overflow).

let us kno how you go. As for the water in the radiator, i dont think that would hurt anyhing.

Participant

How can the thermostat be installed incorrectly?? The fans do come on, the correct cap and everything around the radiator seems fine.

Vic SorlieVic Sorlie
          Participant

You need to put proper coolant in 50/50 concentration in your engine for corrosion protection but more importantly to protect your engine from freezing. Water expands when it freezes; given a cold enough temperature straight water in your engine will crack the block and head.

Participant

That’s what I figured. I’ve had the car 5 1/2 years and the thermostat has never worked properly. Now that it has a new one, the water is heating properly and I assumed evaporating because of it. Thanks

Vic SorlieVic Sorlie
              Participant

Make sure you bleed the air out. Eric has a good video on how to do it. Good luck.

Participant

Yeah, I just need to buy that funnel

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                  Participant

[quote=”mzaragoza84″ post=117273]That’s what I figured. I’ve had the car 5 1/2 years and the thermostat has never worked properly. Now that it has a new one, the water is heating properly and I assumed evaporating because of it. Thanks[/quote]

If the radiator cap is sealing and holding pressure, the only place for water to evaporate is from the reservoir. Since the reservoir is capped but not sealed this does happen but very slowly.

Vic SorlieVic Sorlie
                    Participant

That funnel makes the job easier but you don’t necessarily need to buy it.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…