Menu

Cooling system flush

• Creator
    Topic
    BlackGPGTBlackGPGT
    Participant

Just wondering here if I need a chemical flush for my cooling system. 02 Grand Prix GT 3800.

I am planning on doing the work tommorow giving the weather is supposed to be nice.

I found some crud on the radiator cap and the coolant was slightly low in the radiator. The car heats up fine, never been overheated etc… It’s been about 3 years since anything was done to the cooling system and it’s never been flushed, only drained and refilled over the years.

My question is would I benefit from something like cascade or prestone super flush? Right now I’m leaning towards flush with a garden hose, pull the radiator drain valve and engine block plugs, If I can get to them. Flush 1 more time with distilled and refill.

Car holds 11.2 quarts and takes dexcool. Any input anyone has would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Car has 70K miles.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      WayneWayne
      Participant

I didn’t wish to create a new thread for the near exact same question; so please excuse me adding another question here..

But what is the proper way in a normal setup to flush and fill? Anything other than distilled I get as adding extra potential corrosion, but what is used then by shops to do this other than say filtered/softened tap water? Do they just add something to it to minimize this risk?

Nick WarnerNick Warner
        Participant

Prestone and several other brands make additives for flushing that do pretty decent for normal maintenance. For that Grand Prix you’re doing it at the right time, before you have issues. Don’t try to take out frost plugs. Its not going to help. Drain the system of your old coolant. Add the additive and fill with water, and you can use your garden hose water just fine. Run the engine according to the instructions on the bottle of additive. Drain and refill with just water and run it again. This is your rinse cycle. I would highly recommend at this point that you disconnect the hoses for your heater core and backflush it to remove any deposits that can come back to bite you later on. Get them now and its smooth sailing. Once all is done, refill with the proper level of the coolant recommended by your OEM, which in your case is Dexcool.

I have never seen anyone, including shops, use distilled water. Basically as long as you never chipped a tooth from drinking a glass of it its good to go. The coolant itself has an additive package to ensure you don’t have issues provided it is changed on time.

Cascade isn’t something I would use for a normal flush, but I have used it in the past to clean systems contaminated by oil, such as bad transmission heat exchangers, head gaskets, intakes and it didn’t work bad at all.

John B KobberstadJohn B Kobberstad
          Participant

Just did the flush today with the Prestone Super Flush. Used half the container for the first flush and did it a second time with the other half. Filled with water and will dump that tomorrow and fill with Prestone. Put a new thermostat and gasket in and the heater is blasting me out on low fan setting.

WayneWayne
            Participant

Just wanted to make sure I was doing this “correctly”. I just flushed mine using my garden hose a couple weeks back, refilled with new 50/50 mix, then called it a day (or 2 to 3 years..). I bought actual flushing prestone chemical mix, but I didn’t bother as the car is only 4 years old, and I did have it flushed once already. I didn’t see it having much benefit as it was still pristine looking. Figured I’d save it for the gf’s 2000 neon when she can bring it over again.

college mancollege man

if the cooling system has been maintained.a drain and refill
                should be fine.don’t pull any plugs on the engine.If the system
                has no rust in it then know chemical flush is needed. If you want
                to flush the system.Use a garden hose.remove the top radiator hose.
                Put the hose in the rad.start the car. heat setting on full.flush until
                clean water is seen.

BlackGPGTBlackGPGT
                Participant

Like most things I get into, something either gets broken or missing. I couldn’t even get the lower engine cover off. My tool box has many missing or broken tools and the wind is gusting, not a good day to do this. I can’t afford new tools either.

On a personal note, I’m convinced I don’t belong near cars. Just put gas in them and go. Take it in for when it needs something. So I’m hanging it up here. No more working on cars for this guy. Just being realistic. All that being said, I don’t feel I can contribute to the ETCG forums. I can talk a good talk but can’t walk the walk by a long shot. So just saying goodbye to the forums and everyone here who answered my questions. Thank you and happy wrenching to all 🙂

college mancollege man

Thanks for being honest.;)

Jason Alexmckrishes
                    Participant

I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully you can find something you are interested in and works well for you.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…