Menu

Cordless tools

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Cordless tools

• Creator
    Topic
    JonathonJonathon
    Participant

Need some help deciding. Right now I have a set of Craftsman C3 cordless tools, drill, impact, weedwacker, saw etc etc, havent had a problem with them yet but I am looking either add on, upgrade or change brands for convience since our Sears closed. I do have 1 Ryobi one+ drill. It has been ok also. Looking for any input to stay with Craftsman, start adding onto my Ryobi one+, since home depot is nearby or to start fresh and switch to milwaukee. Not a professional mechanic by any means, just a weekend wrencher working on a Jeep mainly.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      NoahNoah
      Participant

I don’t have experience with many brands, but I have been thrilled with my ryobi cordless tools. I have two drills, a driver, recipe saw and circular saw. I also know people who really like Home Depots rigid tools. Whatever you get, consider the cost of new batteries. A good set of tools will outlast it’s original batteries

James P GrossoJames P Grosso
        Participant

I have some older Hitachi 18-Volt Li tools I got for fathers day (at least 5-years old?) and the batteries have been great. All the tools have also been very good except the chuck on the small drill. I originally got a “kit” with Circular saw, reciprocating saw, drill and light. I then bought the impact as a “tool only” which really kept the cost down. I think the “kit” may have came with the 1.5Ah batteries, and I found a deal on Amazon for a pair of 3.0Ah batteries, so I have 4 battery packs now.
          I noticed the new version of the tools they changed the battery style, so they won’t work with my older batteries. The impact is sort of wimpy, only 70 ft/lbs I think, but is small and lightweight. I have a larger Craftsman C3 19.2Volt impact (won it in a drawing!) that works great on biger stuff, I think it is rated at 300 ft/lbs. For really tight stuff, I use the air powered Snap-On Impact.

Shaun FlichelShaun Flichel
          Participant

[quote=”TauroTech” post=177137]I don’t have experience with many brands, but I have been thrilled with my ryobi cordless tools. I have two drills, a driver, recipe saw and circular saw. I also know people who really like Home Depots rigid tools. Whatever you get, consider the cost of new batteries. A good set of tools will outlast it’s original batteries[/quote]

Where did you find a recipe saw? I need one of those for when the wife bakes a new recipe.

NoahNoah
            Participant

If I recall, I got it at lowes. Should be able to find one at and royobi dealer.

I have used the recip saw for cutting frozen pork loins :silly: Also useful for junkyard trips

James P GrossoJames P Grosso
              Participant

When I look at the Ryobi cordless tools they look almost exactly like the Hitachi tools?
                I should take my Hitachi to Lowes and see of the batteries interchange.

TyTy
                Participant

They may look similar but they are made in two different country’s.

Hitachi (Japan)

Ryobi (China)

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                  Participant

Milwaukee. Craftsman is dead there are 3 companies trying to buy the brand out. Milwaukee is used by pros and it works and works well and they have a very nice range of products that work on the same set of batteries.

Sears may sell Kenmore and Craftsman brands
                    Sears Puts Kenmore, Craftsman Up for Grabs

Jeff KetchemJeff Ketchem
                    Participant

Milwaukee, hands down! I had Dewalt when it was really Dewalt. The Milwaukee 12V fuel has more ompf than my old Dewalt 18V did when they were new. The warranty is incredible at 5 years! I use Milwaukee professionally and around the house.

ScottScott
                      Participant

I personally own a bunch of the Craftsman C3 tools. I have a 1/2inch drill and a 3/8in right angle drill that I purchased in early 2005, and they survived Hurricane Katrina (they were above the water line) but the charger wasn’t so lucky. I got new batteries, a new charger, and have added pieces to the set over the years. I now own the two drills just mentioned, plus another new style drill, 5.5″ circular saw, jigsaw, and reciprocating saw. Other than the batteries having to be replaced every 2 years, they have served me very well. I now have the new Lithium batteries which seem to be more powerful and hold a charge longer than the NiCad batteries.
                        I also have a few DeWalt 18v power tools, impact drivers to be specific. I have a 1/4″ impact drive impact driver, a 3/8″ impact gun, and a 1/2″ impact gun. The 1/4″ only accepts hex bits, but it is a beast when it comes to driving screws or lags. I used one daily at work so I just HAD to have one. Then I bought the 3/8 and 1/2 impact guns for Auto repair since they accept impact sockets. I think Eric uses the same 3/8″ 18v impact in some of his videos, the thing is a BEAST. The 1/2″ is even more of a beast. But its so huge that I mostly use it for wheel lugnuts and not much more, except for when I replaced my shocks a while back. The 3/8″ helped me zip the bolts right out when I was replacing my fuel pump this summer.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…