Menu

Cracked block

• Creator
    Topic
    fredfred
    Participant

I have a 1996 f150. I changed water pump due to water leak. As i was tigthening last bolt. The bolt stripped. I removed timing cover and found the area around water pump bolt hole cracked. I called a mobile welder, he said he wouldn’t touch it. So I am down to JBWELD as last resort. Question Is. Has anyone used jb weld somewhere that requires bolts torqued. The torque for this is 18ft lbs. Plus afterward I will have to tap it and put in helicoil. Just wodering if helicoil will withstand 18 ft pounds . Years ago i did use jbweld to fix a crack next to oil sending unit on motorcycle-However the sending unit had no torque applied. I sold the bike years later and it still wasn’t leaking. Gonna try to input a picture

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

A properly install helicoil by itself (in a normal metal application) would be able to withstand 18 Ft lbs as long as it was an M8 or above. Whether the JB weld would hold it all in place is something I am unsure of.

Good luck

-Karl

fredfred
        Participant

This block is cast iron. I have never tried this on cast iron before. Thanks for your reply.

fredfred
          Participant

The jb weld did not hold. Had to take engine out of truck and take to machine shop to repair.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…