Menu

Custom DIY Oil Catch Can

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Engine Modifications Custom DIY Oil Catch Can

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Dustin HicksDustin Hicks
    Participant

[quote=”NZXTInerTia” post=47844]http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=48406583#post48406583

Just through this together, they seem to be way over priced so I took my own approach at it. What do yah think? B)[/quote]

Looks nice, but why?

Levi BurkeLevi Burke
      Participant

[quote=”moparfan7008″ post=47882][quote=”NZXTInerTia” post=47844]http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=48406583#post48406583

Just through this together, they seem to be way over priced so I took my own approach at it. What do yah think? B)[/quote]

Looks nice, but why?[/quote]

They’re used to collect used atomized oil that normally would be sent directly to the intake manifold via the PCV. They also keep turbo charged vehicles turbo’s, intercoolers, and piping clean.

thomas dudmanthomas dudman
        Participant

Well I hope that plastic bottom is not gonna get eaten up by gasoline.
          Blow by is gas and oil mixture.Regular plastic will turn to goo before a thousand miles.
          Is this sports bottle air tight?
          Keep us posted.

Levi BurkeLevi Burke
          Participant

I’ve seen other people do it with the same sort of sport bottle so hopefully it will last. Yes, it is completely air tight.

Matt BlackledgeMatt Blackledge
            Participant

I’m unsure why you would want to make it air tight. If you bung off the inlet manifold and vent the vapor from the cam cover into the bottle you can ensure you don’t get any oil back into the inlet stream. That’s what we did on all our race cars and never had any issues. You just need to remember to keep draining that thing!

thomas dudmanthomas dudman
              Participant

It being air tight only means that no extra air that is unmetered by a mass air flow sensor goes into the engine.If by chance your vehicle does not have one than it really does not matter.

Its funny that all high dollar cars from germany all have these and I have yet to see a problem with those cars ……being that most of these oil seperators drain right back into the oil pan.

I would never wanna see the crap I catch going back into the engine.

Levi BurkeLevi Burke
                Participant

I was actually debating placing a filter on top of (really the bottom) the bottle and using a rubber vacuum plug to completely eliminate the vapor completely like you said. Seems to keep things simpler. Not to mention when I do my full rebuild and F23A manifold upgrade I don’t want to gum up that one too.

sjrobinsonsjrobinson
                  Participant

I made my from PVC tubing and put steel wool in it near the top. But I’m having issues with air leaking. I think I may try your approach. I just need a small enough container. They’re really more necessary in turbo applications from what ive read but I think its for good measure in NA engines too.

Some PCV valves already have filters in them so you dont need a catch can, it just goes back into the crankcase, id check to see if yours does. On my accord, the cheap PCV valve I buy doesnt.

Levi BurkeLevi Burke
                    Participant

[quote=”sjrobinson” post=49263]I made my from PVC tubing and put steel wool in it near the top. But I’m having issues with air leaking. I think I may try your approach. I just need a small enough container. They’re really more necessary in turbo applications from what ive read but I think its for good measure in NA engines too.

Some PCV valves already have filters in them so you dont need a catch can, it just goes back into the crankcase, id check to see if yours does. On my accord, the cheap PCV valve I buy doesnt.[/quote]

The PVC I have doesn’t have a filter. But the catch can works! I emptied it last night and a whole bunch of crap came out.

sjrobinsonsjrobinson
                      Participant

Yeah, its amazing what stuff gets into the intake from the oil. Im looking for a metal canister that is a bit smaller. I dont mind having to empty it more often, im just limited on space. The f22s take up a lot of room in the 5th gen accords

Steffen NyegaardSteffen Nyegaard
                        Participant

Any reason why you don’t just buy one from ebay? You can get decent ones from 20-25 USD.

sjrobinsonsjrobinson
                          Participant

I see those and im tempted. I just figure its cheaper to make one but they’re perfectly good. They serve their purpose. I doubt they have anything in there to stop the oil. Maybe put a little steel wool in.

Big thing about these is you really wanna clean them out before it all gets sucked into the engine.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…