Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Deadblow hammer for knocking CV joint off shaft?

Deadblow hammer for knocking CV joint off shaft?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Deadblow hammer for knocking CV joint off shaft?

• Creator
    Topic
    Gareth RandallGareth Randall
    Participant

I need to replace a worn inner CV boot on my 2003 Ford Escape, and the service manual says to use a brass punch to drive the joint off the shaft. I’m in the UK, and brass punches large enough to be used for that job are expensive – the cheapest I’ve found is the equivalent of $70.

Would a regular deadblow hammer do the job? I could also go for a brass hammer for less than half the price of the punch, but I’ve got a deadblow in my toolbox already…

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JoshJosh
      Participant

I’d suggest simply replacing the axle half-shaft as Eric recommends perhaps either thru your local auto parts centre or an online vendor (AutoPartsWay and RockAuto both ship to the UK).

I found an axle half shaft on RockAuto for about $55 USD + shipping and import duties (if necessary) for you made by Cardone Select.

Gareth RandallGareth Randall
        Participant

It would indeed be the easiest way, but in this case it doesn’t make economic sense.

The Escape was never popular here in the UK, only being sold between 2001-03. Consequently parts support is poor and the cheapest shaft assembly I can find locally is the equivalent of $180. As for that Cardone shaft from RockAuto, international shipping costs would knock it up from $55 to $140.

If my shaft was clicking, then I’d save the $40 and ship the Cardone one from the States in a heartbeat. But it’s mechanically fine, the only issue is that the inner boot is starting to deteriorate and this was noted as an “advisory” at its last annual inspection (it’s not torn, that would have been a straight fail), and a boot kit is easily obtained (I’ve already got one) for $15.

MikeMike
          Participant

There are “split” boot kits that are installed in 2 halves, and are then glued together. They are meant to replace damaged CV boots in situ without needing to remove and take apart the axle/CV joint assembly.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…