Menu

Dealing With Repair Frustrations

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions Dealing With Repair Frustrations

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

Sorry to get this one out a little late. New camera, new editing software, lots of stuff to learn and it set me back this week. That said, it was indeed a week of frustrations. What are your thoughts.

BTW this is the first public video featuring my new camera and software. I’d love to hear your thoughts on those changes.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Eric BrunhammerEric Brunhammer
      Participant

Talking about frustration, I thought you were going to say you were doing the front struts on them. I did them on a Chevy Venture before, probably one of the worst jobs I have ever done.

Walt jrWalt jr
        Participant

Eric, I live outside of Buffalo so every job that comes in is a “technicians trap” from that simple brake job that usually involves a torch to the rusted door handle that breaks off in your hand when you are pulling it in for an oil change. I deal with it by taking a walk out back and removing myself from the situation, I learned that from an old general manager I had that used to take a lap around the building when he was frustrated, some days he spent the better part of the day outside.

BillBill
          Participant

Excellent video, Eric. It was very clear. Your new camera is excellent and the editing was well done IMO.

I have been in that situation in my career more times than I can count and when I do I get stubborn and tackle the problem until I win, usually. As I have become older I just walk away and ask others for some ideas. As you said, when you return to the job sometimes everything falls into place.

I have done the very same thing but now I measure the depth of the hole with the drill bit and apply some tape to the drill bit so I don’t go too deep.

I know how I would repair the problem but how did you do it?

JonJon
            Participant

Video and sound were great, very impressive. The ETCG1 logo may be a little to large though.

Petr MiskerikPetr Miskerik
              Participant

yeah, I have my mind on this.
                My life is fore some reason crossed with your Eric :D.
                It happened to me just last week.
                I have doing some clutch job / change of master cylinder.
                Everythings was going smoothly. Then it was gone in an one second.
                Retainer clip on clutch hydraulic hose was fired from hose to some place under hood and I can not able to find it. It take me maybe 3 hours / also with help compressed air and my brother’s help….
                I was used all known bad names that I known.
                I known frustration very well / sadly. I know this feelings. But against you Eric – I can not handle this. It is physically destroying me.
                Thanks for support and nice topic, it’s nice to know that we are not alone in these situations / feelings.

Bye

You are totaly right Eric, the best way to handle frustration is simply just to step back and be honest both with yourself and the customer – I screwed up, and my obsession will simply affect both my judgement and the quality of my work and of course in a worst case scenario you end up with both wasted time and a great economic loss due to that all i did was to screw it up even more.

I know from how i react to frustration i often starts to think a little to advanced, i might get creative in my pursuit of dealing with the problem, often waaay to creative. “I just want to get it fixt NOW”. I believe one of the most important reason why you should “escape” from the problem is to protect the personal aspect of it, when you starts to get mad, beginning to think unfair on what a idiot you are etc then you need a timeout.

Some time ago i was going to do a relatively simple job, a timing belt change on a Ford with a Duratec engine. I had locked the crankshaft with a pulley holder and did what i always do working with my impact drivers, breaker bars, then when it happends – the camshaft pulley holder tool moved a little bit and suddently i heard a loud bang from the engine. I was thinking W**!? What in h*** was that!? Jupp, i had forgot to remove the camshaft locking plate after i checked if it did fit!

The grove where it locks on the exhaust cam had simply snapped. Where did that metal pieces go!? And what of the two cams is in its correct position relatively to the crankshaft now? I cant tell enought how mad i became at myself! How could i be such a idiot?. From experience i know that when i begin to get personal, thats it – then its time to turn away. Im done with this car for today…

When i woke up the next morning i was eager to continue on the car, my frustration had turn into a urge to fix it. This day i could not wait to get out of my bed, fit to fight i found all the metal parts who i yesterday was more or less 100% sure had dropped into the engine. I removed the cams, got the crankshaft bolt removed, timed the crankshaft, installed a new exhaust cam, reinstalled the intake cam, got the belt on, Installed the pulleys, torqued down a new bolt, breaked in the new cam and from there i was back on track!

To screw up ruins your day, but fixing what you screwed up is some of the best days!

david maciasdavid macias
                Participant

Anyone who works on older cars knows frustration. In my younger days I persisted until I overcame. This was usually successful but more injurious to me and the car and often expensive. I second the idea of walking away. Even a short break can bring a different perspective and often a better solution.
                  Thanks for the video. I’m intrigued and hope to find out how you eventually fixed the Montana.

ErinErin
                  Participant

Part of damage assessment includes, “What else is likely to f*** up during this job?”
                    That seems to be the story of life. The book makes a task look easy but then the real world wipes it’s ass with that book.

But yeah it is best to just take a break from it. Once you are frustrated and start overheating, things will just get worse.

My problem is I tend to push through until the job is done cause if I try to take a prolonged break (like putting it up for the day) I just fixate on it.

FrankFrank
                    Participant

This video is my favorite every time I take a break from working on my car. Because sitting right behind you is the exact model of my current frustration. I am the proud/poor owner of a 2002 Pontiac Montana. I have replaced the head gaskets,lower intake and upper gaskets. I have also replaced the evaporator coil and expansion valve. I have had the whole car apart this month and when I got it running again the exhaust is loose and making a loud whistling noise. So here I go again taking all apart to tighten the exhaust . The car is in excellent condition except for the motor . Very little rust ,no dents and everything works except the A/C because the evaporator coil failed. During head gasket work I was forced to replace 6 broken exhaust studs but luckily I did not hit a water jacket. Also replaced all A/C O rings and seals and exhaust gaskets. Why did GM make this car/truck so hard to work on? :angry:

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                      Keymaster

[quote=”Slatdog” post=145109]This video is my favorite every time I take a break from working on my car. Because sitting right behind you is the exact model of my current frustration. I am the proud/poor owner of a 2002 Pontiac Montana. I have replaced the head gaskets,lower intake and upper gaskets. I have also replaced the evaporator coil and expansion valve. I have had the whole car apart this month and when I got it running again the exhaust is loose and making a loud whistling noise. So here I go again taking all apart to tighten the exhaust . The car is in excellent condition except for the motor . Very little rust ,no dents and everything works except the A/C because the evaporator coil failed. During head gasket work I was forced to replace 6 broken exhaust studs but luckily I did not hit a water jacket. Also replaced all A/C O rings and seals and exhaust gaskets. Why did GM make this car/truck so hard to work on? :angry:[/quote]

I don’t think they intended for it to be worked on. It was perfect from the factory and they were not expecting anything to break. 🙂

FrankFrank
                        Participant

I can’t tell you how cool it is to get a response from you. I will definitely be at at 2016 meet up . Been watching your videos for about a year. On a more serious note: EVERY car manufacturer should produce a product that can be serviced without using a step ladder, a trained monkey and slew of special tools that you will only use once. If I ever met a guy That came up to me and said “Nice Montana I was an engineer on that project” I might just have a fit right in front of the guy. We are talking about full Jersey screaming , cursing and foaming at the mouth! 😆

Jason WhiteJason White
                          Participant

I know I said this on another comment but dealing with the frustrations is what separates the good from the great mechanics/technicians. Three elements are the know how of what to do, the ability to do it, and just as important, the ability to keep a cool head when it happens.

Even though I work at a Nissan dealer, somehow I got blessed with this Jaguar engine replacement. The engine is locked up solid, doesn’t move any at all. First step is to remove the transmission, but I can’t turn the engine to get the torque converter bolts off so the transmission is going to have to come out without the torque converter. No-go, not enough clearance to get around the torque converter. So I have to take the engine out with the torque converter attached, but there is barely enough room even without the converter. 6″ extra inside a jag engine compartment might as well be a mile. Had to remove more stuff. Oh, and there isn’t anything to hook onto, you need these expensive specialty tools to get the engine out. I managed to rig up something but that took a lot of headache. Finally got it out with some help from my co-workers. Fanageling to say the least. I had to almost completely dissasemble the engine to get the torque converter off. How I handled the frustration is I got my boss over there (because this is an internal repair the dealership is paying for) and told him I need more hours on it because that’s not included in the normal repairs. So, I get more hours out of the job. So there is no need to get upset.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…