Menu

Delco Delphi cd player eject error

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Car Audio Delco Delphi cd player eject error

• Creator
    Topic
    Gary SchroederGary Schroeder
    Participant

I have found another recurring problem with my 2006 Malibu LT. The cd was stuck in the cd drive (GM part no. 15806594 Delphi delco electronic system, am/fm radio with single cd player) and was making a recurring clicking noise when the eject button was pushed and the disc would not eject. I did not feel like paying for GM $140.00 to security unlock a replacement, factory radio. I began by removing the radio. remove trim that runs the length of the dash above the glove box (snapped in) remove the cover on the passenger side of the dash (snapped in)(passenger door will have to be open to get this cover off).Take two screws out holding glove box housing in. Push down on the black plastic shield connected under the glove box that is snapped in with two clips. Next take the two screws out of the bottom of the glove box housing. Open the glove box and push in sides of sides of the glove box and let the glove box fall open. remove the screw on the right side of the clove box housing. Then remove the three screws on the top of the glove box housing. then the glove box and housing can be removed. Go to the driver side and remove the small piece of trim under the ignition, like the first piece of trim that is also snapped in. Take out screw on bottom right of knee bolster on the driver side and pull it loose. Pull the trim around the radio and climate controls free (snapped in). You will have to disconnect the hazard plug in and then you can remove the cover. take the two screws out holding the climate control in and pull it forward but do not disconnect. remove the four screws holding the stereo in and pull it forward and disconnect the wire harness and antenna from the back of the radio. Up to this point all screws removed are the same and I used a 7mm socket. Next remove the front face of the radio by removing the two screws on each side of the face. and pry up the clips on the top and bottom of face and remove the face. take a flat head screwdriver and pry the two tabs in the back corners of the radio and remove the top plate of the radio. there are four screws holding in the cd drive, two that on the front under the cd slot. the other two are on the inside, back corners. these are all gold colored and were removed using a 5mm socket. take the cd out and disconnect the two plug in strips going into the circuit board on the cd drive. Turn cd drive over. there are a bunch of white plastic gears in the back left corner of the drive. these gears are held down by a clear plastic cover that is partially held down by a silver Philips head screw along the back side. The plastic cover breaks at where the screw hold it down. it is hard to see but if you pull up on the clear plastic cover, it will expose the break. take the screw out and the broken plastic piece. find a longer replacement screw with a washer that will go over the top of the clear plastic housing to hold it down. This will prevent the white plastic gears from jumping, causing the eject mechanism to fail. You can try to secure it with glue and maybe that would be sufficient to hold it down because it may not be easy to find a replacement screw. Put everything back together in reverse. I could not find a local, car audio repair shop. Mach 1 said they ship them out and it would cost $200.00 to $300.00. Anyway, I wanted to keep the factory system because a lot of car info is displayed through the radio message screen. P.S. if you are going to replace the cd drive, make sure it is an exact fit to your system. I found that similar systems have a different plug in for the cd drive. So this took care of only part of the problem. the other part is not too difficult to solve if you have gone this far. While the cd drive is removed take the two small silver screws holding the top cover plate on and remove the plate. carefully remove the four corner springs and do not mix them up because at least one is different. Remove the spring in the front center. remove the two screws holding the black plastic cd entrance onto the drive (these screws are different from the top plate screws). Carefully lift out the cd drive from the bottom and side casing. carefully remove two tension springs on the front sides of the plastic cd entrance (note there position because one arm of the spring is longer than the other. Carefully unsnap the two white plastic ends on the sides of the black plastic cd entrance. Flip the black plastic cd entrance over towards the side where the wires are connected. carefully pry out the bottom of the black plastic cd entrance with the rubber roller on it. Unsnap the rubber roller at the gear end and it will slide out the other end. Take the white plastic end off (not the gear end). slide the rubber sleeve off the metal rod. put some adhesive on the rod (I used rubber cement) and slide the rubber sleeve back on in a twisting motion to distribute adhesive between metal rod and rubber sleeve. when the rubber sleeve is on the metal rod, wipe up any excess glue. put everything back together in reverse. Take note to place two front and one rear support rod nubs centered into rubber support boots. It helped to use a dental pick to reinstall springs. It took me about an hour of time to complete this. whole project from beginning of stereo removal to stereo being completely reinstalled.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      asetoftoolsasetoftools
      Participant

holy wall of text batman….

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…