Menu

Detailing the engine compartment

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Detailing the engine compartment

• Creator
    Topic
    Brian MericaBrian
    Participant

I’d like to detail my engine compartment but not exactly sure how to go about doing so. I’m pretty sure you’re not supposed to just dump soap and water all over the engine. I would think you should use something like simple green or perhaps something else. Anyone have any tips on how to do this? Does anything need to be covered up? Can I use a pressure washer? or just a garden hose? do I scrub the surfaces? Any Advice would be appreciated.

Car is a 2006 Ford Fusion V6 Automatic if anyone needs to know.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

I don’t recommend washing your engine. alot
        of people do it and then can’t start the car
        after.

Brian MericaBrian
        Participant

I understand, but there must be some way to accomplish this…any recommendations besides just not doing it? Should I have a professional do it?

college mancollege man

check these out.if you can cover any electronics
            with plastic.

http://www.autogeek.net/engine-guide.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcVbg3viMP8

Jonathan ChanJonathan Chan
            Participant

Check out this guy too. Don’t forget to check out the previous season if you’re interested in detailing.

Scott HancockScott Hancock
              Participant

I like to have a clean engine bay, all I do is cover the alternator with a plastic bag and if you have a cold air intake cover that too. spray your all purpose cleaner in there like Larry does in the video above agitate and rinse off. All of my cars has always started after a good cleaning.

Brian MericaBrian
                Participant

[quote=”clean95″ post=71614]I like to have a clean engine bay, all I do is cover the alternator with a plastic bag and if you have a cold air intake cover that too. spray your all purpose cleaner in there like Larry does in the video above agitate and rinse off. All of my cars has always started after a good cleaning.[/quote]

Thanks. I have cleaned the engine compartment on other cars I have had. This car is a lot different than any other I’ve ever had. No distributor cap, uses COP so I was just concerned with getting all that wet, I used to cover pretty much the distributor and that’s it. Still haven’t decided exactly what I’m going to do just yet.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…