Menu

Did I fry my ECU?

• Creator
    Topic
    Pretend MechanicRyan Peterson
    Participant

I needed to replace my fuel pump. I needed to empty my fuel tank. I decided to put a jumper where my fuel pump relay is to pump the fuel out a hose I connected to the pressure regulator on pump. I think I put the jumper in the wrong terminals and then I heard a strange beep sound come from nearby… possibly from the ECU? Now, when the relay is back in and I turn the key on, the fuel pump doesn’t even prime up for a couple seconds like before. I am not seeing any voltage output on any of the terminals to the Fuel Pump relay.

Questions…
      -Am I an idiot? Yes, I already know this answer.
      -Can the ECU make a beeping noise… possibly when shorting out?
      -Is it possible that I could have fried the ECU by jumping the wrong terminals to the fuel pump relay?
      – If I replace the ECU, will I have to pay an unGodly amount of money to the dealer to reprogram it for my car?

2003 Dodge Neon SE 2.0

Thank-you for reading my story about how not to do mechanic work.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Before anything…
        Go through and check all fuses and fusable links.
        Check the wiring to and from the connections you jumpered from one end to the other for any possible shorts or opens.
        Is it possible you fried the ECU… possibly.
        If the control side was hooked to 12V power or grounded you may have damaged the ECU.

Participant

I’m doing some double checking now. It may not be as bad as I feared. I am getting juice to the fuel pump relay again, I even was able to see the old pump prime and push fuel out for a clue seconds. Maybe I had a bad connection with multimeter before on relay spot when I wasnt getting a reading there. Still not sure what that beep was from…

Thanks for the reply, will update tomorrow when I have more time.

Participant

So, I put my new fuel pump in, things seemed to be running fine, and then after 15 min of driving… I get the 2302 misfire code I had before and my is driving in limp mode. So, I was convinced it was a fuel pump problem as I had this issue before and I replaced fuel pump and it fixed it… for a while. I’ve replaced plugs, wires, coil pack, oxygen sensors, and of course the fuel pump. I just parked in front of a car repair garage and left it there for now. I guess I’ll go there in the morning to get reemed out, bent over, and lied to… and still probably won’t get it fixed… Ha.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
            Participant

A miss fire code does have other possible causes:
              Faulty or clogged fuel injector
              Wiring issue
              Vacuum leak
              Faulty fuel pressure regulator
              Low compression

Participant

I can rule out compression and fuel pressure regulator. Wiring or injector I guess,I doubt it’s vacuum.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…