Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Direct injection carbon build up in Ford Ecoboost

Direct injection carbon build up in Ford Ecoboost

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Direct injection carbon build up in Ford Ecoboost

• Creator
    Topic
    Mike J BrigadierMike J Brigadier
    Participant

Hello. I have a 2012 Ford 150 3.5 Ecoboost. I have heard that these engines tend to carbon up. I know that there are a few factors that can affect this problem. Biggest one is no more gas cleaning intake valve off. The question is, what to do about it. I know the crankcase recycle system is putting the build up on the valves. I have seen Catch Can Kits for a few hundred dollars. Does this work? Can you just vent the crankcase gasses like the old old cars used to do? I have seen evac kits for performance cars where you vent the gasses from the valve covers to the exhaust pipe which sucks the gasses out.
      What i don’t want is to have to pay someone to clean them manually . My truck is already showing signs. Rough cold idle, and a converter had to be replaced already. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Unfortunately to do it legal and for proper operation you’ll need a dual valve catch can.
        The setup is as follows:

As to venting the crank case vapors out the exhaust…
        Depending where you tap the exhaust, you could cause issue(s) with the O2 sensors.
        Also I would assume you would most likely be blowing some amount of smoke out the tail pipe.
        Another item to consider is what impact it will have on your emissions come time for state inspection.

ConCon
        Participant

Hi
          It is a combination of Blowby and your EGR mixing together so the cach can will help.see if you can get a Egr blocking plate installed on your car
          Good luck

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…