Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Direct Injection Proves Fuel Additives Don’t Work

Direct Injection Proves Fuel Additives Don’t Work

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions Direct Injection Proves Fuel Additives Don’t Work

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

Over the years I’ve tried different fuel system cleaners that you dump in your tank. Personally I haven’t had much success. When direct injection came along with the subsequent buildup on the intake valves, I took this as affirmation that my suspicions about fuel system cleaners were correct.

What do you think?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

Yep, gasoline is an effective solvent. Makes me wonder, though, why modern gas contains even more cleaners and detergents.

Love the closing comments. Carbs are fun. I wonder how many of your viewers have never heard the throaty symphony when the secondaries open up.

Keymaster

Less and less. Carburetors are a lost art. I’m sad to see them go. I always enjoyed tinkering with them.

Zac AleksovskiZac Aleksovski
          Participant

I remember the garage I worked for sending us to classes when TBI first came out. The instructor was telling us about a class he taught for union end of line mechanics. He said the guys just sat there and read newspapers while he lectured. Then he put up a slide of a TBI unit. One of the guys took notice and said “hey, ain’t that one of them new fangled carburetors?”

KrishKrish
            Participant

Diesel is a dirty fuel by nature. It’s gunky and produces lots of soot and carbon deposits that can foul an engine in no time. That’s why it’s so important to keep on top of cleaning out your fuel injectors

Kenneth E WilcoxKenneth E Wilcox
              Participant

I believe the main problem is the absence of fuel being sprayed on the back of the valves to get any cleaner to them. The fuel and the additives get dumped into the cylinder directly while egr systems deposit carbon or soot onto the back of the valves. The VM eco diesels have a terrible problem of the intakes coking up. Takes out the active runner system on the manifold. I believe some makers are adding an injector back into intake runners to help control the problem and eliminate the cold start misfires.

Keymaster

That’s exactly my point. With the fuel sprayed on the back of the valves there is no buildup, or little build up. No fuel injector cleaner needed.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…