Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Distributer install problem on 1998 Honda Civic EX

Distributer install problem on 1998 Honda Civic EX

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Distributer install problem on 1998 Honda Civic EX

• Creator
    Topic
    Thomas DoddThomas Dodd
    Participant

Greetings,

I am brand new to the forum. I’m hoping to get some advice on correcting a novice mistake I made on a repair.

I have a 1998 U.S. made Honda Civic coupe EX with an auto transmission and the classic 4 cylinder 1.8 liter engine. I recently unbolted the distributor to replace the rubber O-ring in order to fix an oil leak. Before the distributor was removed, I didn’t take note of which direction the rotor was pointing. Now, I have no clue how to re-install the distributor the correct way. I know that there are only two possible ways to install the distributor because of the two lugs that lock into the camshaft, but I don’t want to guess wrong then have a timing issue. :unsure: I couldn’t find any information on YouTube or anywhere else on the internet.

Thanks in advance

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Just a thought here:
        Did you happen to mark the plug wires to match the cylinders? or is the cap marked with cylinder1 ?

Might try hand turning the engine to # 1 TDC and align the distributor accordingly.

JoshJosh
        Participant

I have a 98 Civic LX and per the service manual on my PC both the lug on the end of the dizzy as well as the cam groves are offset, so they SHOULD only go in one way but I have made the mistake of inserting it 180 degrees off. Take a light source and look at the cam groves then spin the lug on the end of the dizzy to match it, but don’t tighten the dizzy hold down bolts all the way. Try to start the engine and let it run for a few seconds and if the timing is crap you’ll know instantly so then pull out the hold down bolts and reverse the lug. If the timing is good simply turn off the ignition and then tighten the hold down bolts completely.

Also this is a great resource for those of us with Hondas:

http://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…