Menu

Driveability issues

• Creator
    Topic
    BlackGPGTBlackGPGT
    Participant

02 Grand Prix GT 3.8 Steering wheel started shaking badly at highway speed. This is a problem that has been slowly developing worse over time. Anything over 55mph and driving straight is when the shake becomes very prominent. Doesn’t shake around town, only at highway speed. Shake goes away slightly when going into a turn but is most prominent when driving straight.

Drove in to the local tire and alignment center. Got the car up in the air, found the tires to be bowing up if you will. Inner sidewall was badly worn with several indentation spots, air pressure was good. $40 later, had the tires balanced and rotated. I know this is only a bandaid to the problem until I can get the car in the shop, only trying to avoid further damage. Steering wheel has now developed a lumpy feel too it. You can feel the indentations in the tires when steering left to right at slow speeds. Tires have 22K miles on them and are only a 1yr old, have been properly rotated and maintained since new.

On a side note, the car has developed a loud and embarrasing squeak coming from the passenger front suspension. Anytime going over bumps regardless of speed. This too has become worse over time to the point of all the time. Don’t know if whatever is squeaking is related to the tire wear. Car is going in the shop tommorow. Will report back. Any ideas what’s going on?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

If driving the car and the wheel shakes. Tire problem
        or wheel balance problem. did the problem get better with
        the balance and rotation? You may have defective tires.

BlackGPGTBlackGPGT
        Participant

The rotating and balancing did help somewhat. Tires are basically junk now. I’m mainly concerned what caused the tires indentations. Car is still driveable, doesn’t feel unsafe anyway.

college mancollege man

are the side walls bulging out or in?

BlackGPGTBlackGPGT
            Participant

In

college mancollege man

[quote=”BlackGPGT” post=55423]In[/quote]

In is usually ok.unless its crazy in. Out is no good.

BlackGPGTBlackGPGT
                Participant

Took the car in this morning. Turned out to be an outer tie rod. They showed me out in the shop, the tie rod was loose but not terrible. The car was already there so I gave them the ok to fix it.

Tommorow, car is going in to the alignment shop to align both the front and back. Should be good after then.

college mancollege man

Great. keep us posted.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…