Menu

Driving Old Cars

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions Driving Old Cars

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

Personally, I really like driving old cars. How do you feel?

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JulianJulian
      Participant

Just to add a thought to the 2nd poster I believe about new cars and fighting their intelligence. My wife has a Subaru Legacy, 2012 with manual transmission. I was very surprised and upset that it comes with electronic parking break– a push button. What happens in an emergency if your breaks give out? push the button? >:)

RileyRiley
        Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=80414]Apparently I was graduating high school when you were an infant. πŸ™‚

That said, to me an 88 isn’t old. I suppose that’s because it was made in my lifetime. I’m finding after posting this video that there are a lot of different opinions of what ‘old’ is. I think that’s cool and it poses an interesting point. I wonder what it will be like when the ‘kids’ of today grow up and talk about that old 2013 Cobalt or Hyundai that their parents drove when they were little. Really puts it in perspective.[/quote]

How do you post pictures? I’d love to post a picture of it

To me, the 88 is an “old car” because my earliest memories of my granddad involved riding in this truck. My parents, however, are like you… an 88 is not that old, so it’s all in how you see it. Maybe it’s not as old as I think it is because I can go to any local autoparts store and buy parts for it. I still say it’s an old car, though :).

I haven’t had the chance to drive anything older than this, but when you think about how far the automotive industry has come in 25 years, it’s pretty awesome. This was the earliest EFI engine GM put in their trucks. It also has one of the most primitive ECMs, as well. It’s very fascinating to work on. I’m very excited about the Fairmont series because of this (my dad’s brother owned a late 60’s Fairmont and my other Granddad owned an early 70’s Mustang). Thanks for the videos. I’ve enjoyed following along and learning a little something along the way.

JesseJesse
          Participant

I know exactly what you mean about feeling connected to old cars. I drive a 91 civic, and it’s a great no frills basic car. I know exactly what it’s gonna do, when to shift, how hard to brake, when I’m about to lose traction, etc.
            I recently sold an 81 Volvo 240 Wagon that I purchased because it reminded me of my first car. The volvo had Bosch mechanical fuel injection, which isn’t like a carb, nor is it anything like modern electronic fuel injection. There’s basically no computer, airflows past a plate, lifts it up, moves a plunger, opening some holes which allow more fuel to the Constant Injection lines. It’s so simple, but it works. And I can feel it working. I can understand easily everything that’s going on in the engine. the car handle great for an old wagon, had only ~80hp on a good day but I could still cruise at 75mph.
            Anyways when I sat in that car it’s like being back in high school, all my friends pile in and we go out for some lunch. This was a big deal because we didn’t have a cafeteria. It gives me a sense of freedom. It;s this old beater that doesn’t owe me any money, and I can fix most problems with a trip to the hardware store. No ODB scanners or trouble codes, just good old physics!

I sold the Volvo to my GF’s parents, so hopefully it’ll be around for a while, I love working on it.

Keymaster

[quote=”kowkow” post=80581]I know exactly what you mean about feeling connected to old cars. I drive a 91 civic, and it’s a great no frills basic car. I know exactly what it’s gonna do, when to shift, how hard to brake, when I’m about to lose traction, etc.
              I recently sold an 81 Volvo 240 Wagon that I purchased because it reminded me of my first car. The volvo had Bosch mechanical fuel injection, which isn’t like a carb, nor is it anything like modern electronic fuel injection. There’s basically no computer, airflows past a plate, lifts it up, moves a plunger, opening some holes which allow more fuel to the Constant Injection lines. It’s so simple, but it works. And I can feel it working. I can understand easily everything that’s going on in the engine. the car handle great for an old wagon, had only ~80hp on a good day but I could still cruise at 75mph.
              Anyways when I sat in that car it’s like being back in high school, all my friends pile in and we go out for some lunch. This was a big deal because we didn’t have a cafeteria. It gives me a sense of freedom. It;s this old beater that doesn’t owe me any money, and I can fix most problems with a trip to the hardware store. No ODB scanners or trouble codes, just good old physics!

I sold the Volvo to my GF’s parents, so hopefully it’ll be around for a while, I love working on it.[/quote]

I’ve worked on those old K Jetronic systems. Those were cool. In some ways I miss working on them.

LeonLeon
              Participant

I think that it is very interesting that the older guys are saying the 88’s and other 80’s cars are not old but us younger guys do say they’re old. My opinion is that the majority of drivers just want a car to go from point a to point b; which means that when cars start having expensive problems and get wrecked or junked(several years later), they get crushed and hopefully recycled into new cars.

I would say that cars are old when you look to buy them and you can’t find them very easily (because they’re getting junked), which may be only around 12-16 years old. When you factor that it is 2013, a 2003 Focus or a Corvette is not a new car.

This discussion may actually be between modern and old fashioned cars because I bought a 98 328i this year and it definitely is not a new car by any stretch, yet no one in this discussion will call it old (except me).

Hopefully I can drive a car next year that is at least a model year 79 because I was born in 86 and it’s hard to find a car to test drive that was made in the 60’s or 70’s.

Keymaster

[quote=”Homer23″ post=81012]I think that it is very interesting that the older guys are saying the 88’s and other 80’s cars are not old but us younger guys do say they’re old. My opinion is that the majority of drivers just want a car to go from point a to point b; which means that when cars start having expensive problems and get wrecked or junked(several years later), they get crushed and hopefully recycled into new cars.

I would say that cars are old when you look to buy them and you can’t find them very easily (because they’re getting junked), which may be only around 12-16 years old. When you factor that it is 2013, a 2003 Focus or a Corvette is not a new car.

This discussion may actually be between modern and old fashioned cars because I bought a 98 328i this year and it definitely is not a new car by any stretch, yet no one in this discussion will call it old (except me).

Hopefully I can drive a car next year that is at least a model year 79 because I was born in 86 and it’s hard to find a car to test drive that was made in the 60’s or 70’s.[/quote]

The direction that I was taking with the vehicle was about vehicles that are older than say 1980. Those still had mostly mechanical controls and that’s what I was going for in the video. It is interesting how vehicles, even in the 2000’s, have been grouped into the ‘old’ category just because of age. Perhaps I should have called it ‘classic cars’ and not ‘old cars’. Still, it’s been an interesting learning experience reading through the comments.

Michele PensottiMichele Pensotti
                  Participant

This discussion inspired me to get another “old lady” that I had been on when I was a very little boy, and that in some ways had always fascinated me for its very very uniqueness.

In this last days of 2013 I purchased a 1982 Citroen Dyane.
                    I’m sure noone in the US has ever heard about it πŸ˜†

Here she is :cheer:

It’s a spin-off of the more famous Citroen 2CV.
                    It had a 2 cylinder air-cooled boxer of 602cc putting out an amazing 32 HP πŸ˜†

Same engine, same frame (it’s frame based, and the body is fastened on the frame) , different body.

What can I say about driving her home?

It just redefined my whole concept of driving a car…its…something like a motorcycle with 4 wheels πŸ˜† (but it has all the “modern” commodities, like heater, windshield wipers, courtesy light :silly: )

I’ve spent the last weeks doing the much needed maintenance on it and it still feels to me like a motorcycle ; GREAT accessibility!

And…if you wanna check if there’s fuel in the tank you can shake her (like a motorbike) and listen for the sound!
                    Of course she has a fuel gauge, but this way it’s more fun! :woohoo:

I feel…young! πŸ˜‰

Live long and prosper (and stay dirty!)

10nico

BRANDON FOKERMANBRANDON FOKERMAN
                    Participant

Back then cars were made to last forever the engines are better than the new motors that have all that fancy xomputers and other things like that

Lee AnnLee Ann

I miss my 1978 Chevy Camaro (my first car)…

My favorite memories of driving are those trips taken on balmy summer nights in ’88, windows rolled down (no AC), cassette player blasting Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin tunes…I was young and I was free (well, except for the midnite curfew, LOL!) πŸ™‚

There definitely was a certain connected-ness, if I may, that I felt while driving my Camaro. I think that is why it was (and still is) my favorite vehicle. It takes me back to my youth, ya know? I have never driven a car that has given me quite that same sentimental feeling.

In more recent years, the car that evoked a similar feeling was my 2001 Saturn SC2 (timing chain broke at 235,000 mi. I recently replaced it with a ’97 SC2). Although I loved my ’01 for it’s sporty appearance and reliability, I believe I am more connected with the ’97 because of the work I have been doing on it…I guess it depends on one’s relationship or connected-ness with one’s car?

So I guess I have a dual theme going on here…a connected-ness with the road and a connected-ness with a car…very interesting. :huh:

Keymaster

[quote=”10nico” post=84442]This discussion inspired me to get another “old lady” that I had been on when I was a very little boy, and that in some ways had always fascinated me for its very very uniqueness.

In this last days of 2013 I purchased a 1982 Citroen Dyane.
                          I’m sure noone in the US has ever heard about it πŸ˜†

Here she is :cheer:

It’s a spin-off of the more famous Citroen 2CV.
                          It had a 2 cylinder air-cooled boxer of 602cc putting out an amazing 32 HP πŸ˜†

Same engine, same frame (it’s frame based, and the body is fastened on the frame) , different body.

What can I say about driving her home?

It just redefined my whole concept of driving a car…its…something like a motorcycle with 4 wheels πŸ˜† (but it has all the “modern” commodities, like heater, windshield wipers, courtesy light :silly: )

I’ve spent the last weeks doing the much needed maintenance on it and it still feels to me like a motorcycle ; GREAT accessibility!

And…if you wanna check if there’s fuel in the tank you can shake her (like a motorbike) and listen for the sound!
                          Of course she has a fuel gauge, but this way it’s more fun! :woohoo:

I feel…young! πŸ˜‰

Live long and prosper (and stay dirty!)

10nico[/quote]

That is one cool car and a great experience. Thanks for sharing it.

Keymaster

[quote=”lar1969″ post=90853]I miss my 1978 Chevy Camaro (my first car)…

My favorite memories of driving are those trips taken on balmy summer nights in ’88, windows rolled down (no AC), cassette player blasting Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin tunes…I was young and I was free (well, except for the midnite curfew, LOL!) πŸ™‚

There definitely was a certain connected-ness, if I may, that I felt while driving my Camaro. I think that is why it was (and still is) my favorite vehicle. It takes me back to my youth, ya know? I have never driven a car that has given me quite that same sentimental feeling.

In more recent years, the car that evoked a similar feeling was my 2001 Saturn SC2 (timing chain broke at 235,000 mi. I recently replaced it with a ’97 SC2). Although I loved my ’01 for it’s sporty appearance and reliability, I believe I am more connected with the ’97 because of the work I have been doing on it…I guess it depends on one’s relationship or connected-ness with one’s car?

So I guess I have a dual theme going on here…a connected-ness with the road and a connected-ness with a car…very interesting. :huh:[/quote]

I think you are more connected with a car like that. Because it’s an old car and you’re not sure what might break next, you’re more alert and in tune with what the car is doing. I think this is where the connection comes from. Also, when it does run, or make a long trip without any problems, you feel proud not only of yourself, but also the vehicle you drove. It almost feels like a mechanical horse in a way. There’s a bond you develop with a vehicle like this.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Lee AnnLee Ann

Speaking of not knowing what might break next…

My Camaro left me stranded twice. Once, during one of those balmy summer evening trips (but in ’89), the passenger side ball joint broke :(. Then in the summer of ’90 the trans blew. I was able to limp home which, thankfully at the time, was right around the corner. Paid $750.00 (in ’90) to have the trans rebuilt, but I felt it was money well spent. πŸ™‚

I will share, in a future post, the demise of my Camaro as it is a strange and sad story (and I don’t want to ruin the nostalgic feel of this thread)! Also, will try to find some photos (taken with the old 110 camera, remember those?) to post.

P.S. During my early years of Camaro ownership, my Dad had taught me the basics about performance issues/maintenance (tune-up items) but we hadn’t gotten to suspension and trans discussions by the time these “strandings” occurred. I am definitely more in-tune to the more major things now, though.

Thanks for reading.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                              Participant

As a young man I bought a ’56 Chevy a farmer had put out to pasture – literally. It needed everything to become reliable transportation again; wheel bearings, ball joints, seals, exhaust, tires – even the radio didn’t work.

The engine had a knock. So, I ordered parts from Montgomery Wards – remember them? Well, it turned out to be a cracked piston but I went ahead and replaced the bearings and re rung the pistons. Yeah, I know you can’t do that to a worn out engine. I did and it ran pretty good – actually perfectly until I got to speeds approaching triple digits – then it got some serious blow by.

In the mist of this project on the gravel lot behind the house, I needed someone to tap in pistons with a hammer handle (has any other tool ever been used for this?) as I guided from below. I was alone but then this lovely young lady walked by and I recruited her.

Back then the engine had four motor mounts and the transmission had none. To remove the transmission remove four bolts. To remove the pan nothing was in the way. What exactly was wrong with this design?

Driving that car was an experience like I have never had since. This was a blue, two-tone, 210, two door, manual transmission, V-8, dual exhaust and on the road it was like the car was sucked along by a vacuum. It just loved the road. The thing was like a happy puppy if I headed it out of town.

I took that car and the above mentioned young lady off to college. We were married for 37 wonderful years until her untimely death. The car I sold to a collector. I wonder if it is still around.

Keymaster

[quote=”barneyb” post=94228]As a young man I bought a ’56 Chevy a farmer had put out to pasture – literally. It needed everything to become reliable transportation again; wheel bearings, ball joints, seals, exhaust, tires – even the radio didn’t work.

The engine had a knock. So, I ordered parts from Montgomery Wards – remember them? Well, it turned out to be a cracked piston but I went ahead and replaced the bearings and re rung the pistons. Yeah, I know you can’t do that to a worn out engine. I did and it ran pretty good – actually perfectly until I got to speeds approaching triple digits – then it got some serious blow by.

In the mist of this project on the gravel lot behind the house, I needed someone to tap in pistons with a hammer handle (has any other tool ever been used for this?) as I guided from below. I was alone but then this lovely young lady walked by and I recruited her.

Back then the engine had four motor mounts and the transmission had none. To remove the transmission remove four bolts. To remove the pan nothing was in the way. What exactly was wrong with this design?

Driving that car was an experience like I have never had since. This was a blue, two-tone, 210, two door, manual transmission, V-8, dual exhaust and on the road it was like the car was sucked along by a vacuum. It just loved the road. The thing was like a happy puppy if I headed it out of town.

I took that car and the above mentioned young lady off to college. We were married for 37 wonderful years until her untimely death. The car I sold to a collector. I wonder if it is still around.[/quote]

Thank you for that amazing story. Very sorry to hear about your wife. A great story all the same. Thanks for sharing it.

Keymaster

The responses I got to the original video were interesting. I hadn’t considered that ‘old’ would be a relative term, but it is. In this video I try to clarify that and put a finer point on what I feel an ‘old car’ is.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…