Menu

E85 Fuel in any car

• Creator
    Topic
    MatthewMatthew
    Participant

on YouTube there is a video titled “E85 Ethanol Does not harm Non-FlexFueled Engines” and i was wondering if there is truth behind this. There is also a video on how Diesel in a gas engine dont harm it and vice versa that putting the right gas back in fixes any issues misfueling can cause.

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BruceBruce
      Participant

My 96 F250 had 220k miles on it when I bought it, it now has 260k miles and those 40k miles have been run on 93 octane, mostly non-ethanol fuel. As far as I can tell it has the OE converters on it. It is OBDII so it has downstream O2 sensor and no codes present. Put plugs in when I got it haven’t changed them since.

MatthewMatthew
        Participant

[quote=”thisisbuod” post=40142][quote=”LeoTheLion89″ post=40114]just as a reply to everyone that has posted pretty much every car but caddys say 87 octain minimum far as i know cars requiring 87 will run fine with higher octane and are designed to do so.

there is no ethenol free gas that i know of the ethonal is in the gas to prevent frozen gas lines a common thing back in the 50s-80s during winter months.

I’m not trying to start an argument but you can’t really say “as far as I know” because your vehicular knowledge admittedly does not go beyond changing oil. Also ethenol was not used to keep gas from freezing in lines cause first; gas doesn’t freeze in lines. The moisture in the gas freezes.Second; the ethanol is used to lower emissions.

You guys are really taking this too far. This isn’t YouTube or FaceBook. It is not an outlet for you to argue with others and it is not a social networking site.[/quote]

It was YouTube where i heard that the Ethonal prevents the freezing in the gas lines i have ALWAYS been told by several family memeber NEVER let it get below half a tank in winter and NEVER let the gas reach the “E”

No gas station in my area specifies if it have any ethonal in it at all. the only Shell gas station in my city has Nirogen in their gas but i never go there.

MatthewMatthew
          Participant

[quote=”Superman” post=40147]My 96 F250 had 220k miles on it when I bought it, it now has 260k miles and those 40k miles have been run on 93 octane, mostly non-ethanol fuel. As far as I can tell it has the OE converters on it. It is OBDII so it has downstream O2 sensor and no codes present. Put plugs in when I got it haven’t changed them since.[/quote]

my car brand new off the showroom floor in 2000 only had 5 miles on the odometer i have never changed the plugs never flushed the cooling system never changed tranny fluid never added or changed brake fluid. it now have around 42100 miles on it

Steffen NyegaardSteffen Nyegaard
            Participant

[quote=”LeoTheLion89″ post=40136][quote=”LJ11194″ post=40128]Public transportation is for getting from A to B. Cars are for having fun while doing it. Personalized transportation is a terrible idea, retrospectively. But at this point it’s what we have done for the most part and it’s too late to change.

Also, in my truck I have driven up and down places I wouldn’t want to hike, with ruts that my Ford Contour could fall into. Admittedly I don’t take it offroad anymore, but only because at it’s advanced age it would probably fall apart. I still haul things with it often enough, which I literally can’t do in anything else. Mowers, weedeaters, dirt, mulch, furniture, scrap, large car parts, etc.

Different strokes for different folks. A type of car someone drives is reliant on their life style. You like your compact car, fine. I barely even fit into a lot of them (I’m 6’4″ and 280 lbs) so I’ll never own another one. If I like my truck, that should also be fine with you but it doesn’t seem to be.

We, as in everyone who drives, reserves the right to complain about fuel costs when even if you have a very efficient car (which my Contour is, still gets 30 city), prices of fuel and proportionally everything else have risen more sharply than average MPGs. And that can’t be blamed on any specific person or political party either. It’s actually because more people in 3rd world countries have cars now, and the fuel production for the world is being spread thin.[/quote]

true price of fuel is a concern but think of it this way; in Europe gas is around $6.30 USD (i have a friend in germany) Gas in Europe has not been $3.69 USB since 1984 so in that aspect gas is really cheap here in the US. Second, People who drive Vans SUVs and Pickups ARE gonna pay more for gas and fuel up more often regardless of gas prices. Therefore those people who have such Vehicles should not bitch about half a week’s pay going into gas for their vehicles. If you have to commute for work than logically it is better to get a econamy car for that sole purpose. And as far has gas prices in 2000 Gas was $1.49 a gallon here in the state of Minnesota. Because of President Bush and Iraq Iraq retaliated by burning all the oil in the country preventing it from being exported. Hence the still-existane spike in Unleaded and Diesel Fuel costs. Which gas being $3.26 a gallon is beyond me when Alaska is America’s bigest Oil Pipeline why we dont use our own oil rather than depending on the 3rd world country’s supply is beyond me.[/quote]

Actually gas was 9.33 usd/gallon not weeks ago and is around 8 atm. so stop your whining ;).

It is a political choice which drives innovation to more efficient cars and engines. You hardly see 6 cylinder engines and a 2.0L is a large engine for most people. Nowadays most cars sold are micro cars with 0.8L-1.2L three or four cylinder petrol engines. Large sedans and station wagons have a 1.6 CRDI engine most commonly.

Bush chose to boost the economy by making production of heavy vehicles more profitable (is it 3000lbs or how does it go?). Large vehicles require more labour and resources to get build so he was partly right. It was however a very short sighted solution as gas prices will only go up from now on.

I’ve lived in the US for a year and I must say that I see why some might have a need for trucks due to practical considerations. However, most trucks I saw were blinged out and clearly not used as a tool and I can’t count how many 5.7L V8 escelades, tahoes etc. you se with one, maybe two people in. Seems like and awful waste to haul 3 tons around at 10-15 mpg for one person to get to work.
              You could argue that it fits a full family, but I am not buying that argument. MPVs were made for that specific purpose and are much better at it, cost way less and are much more fuel efficient.
              I do wish you would adopt more of the European cars as we have many that would fit the American need.
              http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/Ford_S-Max_Titanium_S_%28Facelift%29_%E2%80%93_Frontansicht,_18._Juni_2012,_Ratingen.jpg

41mpg in petrol, 54 mpg in diesel.

BTW. in relation to the comment about this not being youtube, you are right. It is however bound to happen in any forum as soon as the user base becomes large enough. If Eric doesn’t like it he should set up some guidelines (or did I miss them?). Conversations can quickly turn on topics like these (I see a biodiesel topic or hybrid topic going the same direction).

BruceBruce
              Participant

[quote=”Nogood” post=40159]

I’ve lived in the US for a year and I must say that I see why some might have a need for trucks due to practical considerations. However, most trucks I saw were blinged out and clearly not used as a tool and I can’t count how many 5.7L V8 escelades, tahoes etc. you se with one, maybe two people in. Seems like and awful waste to haul 3 tons around at 10-15 mpg for one person to get to work.
                You could argue that it fits a full family, but I am not buying that argument. MPVs were made for that specific purpose and are much better at it, cost way less and are much more fuel efficient.
                I do wish you would adopt more of the European cars as we have many that would fit the American need.
                http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/Ford_S-Max_Titanium_S_%28Facelift%29_%E2%80%93_Frontansicht,_18._Juni_2012,_Ratingen.jpg

41mpg in petrol, 54 mpg in diesel.[/quote]

Just because that is all one needs does not mean that is what one wants. This is America, we buy what fills our wants and needs the best. If a blinged out Escalade is what you want and does what you need it to, then buy it. I drive a 91 Ford Explorer lifted on 35s, it does what I need it to and does what I want it to, best of both worlds.

Logan JohnsonLJ11194
                Participant

I had a more involved reply written but that sums it up better. The whole point of living in a democratic society is so you can have things beyond what you need. That, for a car enthusiast like me, means alot more than being able to afford a smart phone or an HD TV or a computer. I’d rather have cheap gas and a big block than those things.

MatthewMatthew
                  Participant

[quote=”Nogood” post=40159][quote=”LeoTheLion89″ post=40136][quote=”LJ11194″ post=40128]Public transportation is for getting from A to B. Cars are for having fun while doing it. Personalized transportation is a terrible idea, retrospectively. But at this point it’s what we have done for the most part and it’s too late to change.

Also, in my truck I have driven up and down places I wouldn’t want to hike, with ruts that my Ford Contour could fall into. Admittedly I don’t take it offroad anymore, but only because at it’s advanced age it would probably fall apart. I still haul things with it often enough, which I literally can’t do in anything else. Mowers, weedeaters, dirt, mulch, furniture, scrap, large car parts, etc.

Different strokes for different folks. A type of car someone drives is reliant on their life style. You like your compact car, fine. I barely even fit into a lot of them (I’m 6’4″ and 280 lbs) so I’ll never own another one. If I like my truck, that should also be fine with you but it doesn’t seem to be.

We, as in everyone who drives, reserves the right to complain about fuel costs when even if you have a very efficient car (which my Contour is, still gets 30 city), prices of fuel and proportionally everything else have risen more sharply than average MPGs. And that can’t be blamed on any specific person or political party either. It’s actually because more people in 3rd world countries have cars now, and the fuel production for the world is being spread thin.[/quote]

true price of fuel is a concern but think of it this way; in Europe gas is around $6.30 USD (i have a friend in germany) Gas in Europe has not been $3.69 USB since 1984 so in that aspect gas is really cheap here in the US. Second, People who drive Vans SUVs and Pickups ARE gonna pay more for gas and fuel up more often regardless of gas prices. Therefore those people who have such Vehicles should not bitch about half a week’s pay going into gas for their vehicles. If you have to commute for work than logically it is better to get a econamy car for that sole purpose. And as far has gas prices in 2000 Gas was $1.49 a gallon here in the state of Minnesota. Because of President Bush and Iraq Iraq retaliated by burning all the oil in the country preventing it from being exported. Hence the still-existane spike in Unleaded and Diesel Fuel costs. Which gas being $3.26 a gallon is beyond me when Alaska is America’s bigest Oil Pipeline why we dont use our own oil rather than depending on the 3rd world country’s supply is beyond me.[/quote]

Actually gas was 9.33 usd/gallon not weeks ago and is around 8 atm. so stop your whining ;).

It is a political choice which drives innovation to more efficient cars and engines. You hardly see 6 cylinder engines and a 2.0L is a large engine for most people. Nowadays most cars sold are micro cars with 0.8L-1.2L three or four cylinder petrol engines. Large sedans and station wagons have a 1.6 CRDI engine most commonly.

Bush chose to boost the economy by making production of heavy vehicles more profitable (is it 3000lbs or how does it go?). Large vehicles require more labour and resources to get build so he was partly right. It was however a very short sighted solution as gas prices will only go up from now on.

41mpg in petrol, 54 mpg in diesel.

BTW. in relation to the comment about this not being youtube, you are right. It is however bound to happen in any forum as soon as the user base becomes large enough. If Eric doesn’t like it he should set up some guidelines (or did I miss them?). Conversations can quickly turn on topics like these (I see a biodiesel topic or hybrid topic going the same direction).[/quote]

people in america dont say “petrol” most american cars are v6 and most v6s are over 2 letres sub compacts are 1.6L and theres not meny that are

Logan JohnsonLJ11194
                    Participant

I say petrol. I watch too much Top Gear I guess.

MatthewMatthew
                      Participant

[quote=”Superman” post=40160][quote=”Nogood” post=40159]

41mpg in petrol, 54 mpg in diesel.[/quote]

Just because that is all one needs does not mean that is what one wants. This is America, we buy what fills our wants and needs the best. If a blinged out Escalade is what you want and does what you need it to, then buy it. I drive a 91 Ford Explorer lifted on 35s, it does what I need it to and does what I want it to, best of both worlds.[/quote]

never said dont buy those vehicles just stating if ur gonna then dont bitch bout gas prices those kinda vehicles are gas hogs and will cost more to gas uo and wil l need gas more often

DanielDaniel
                        Participant

The gas at shell is nitrogen enriched meaning there are nitrogen molecules bonded to the carbon molecules. Which reduces emissions without robbing you of power. The reason you shouldn’t let your tank get below a quarter full is because the fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel. You have another thread where you were talking about engine vibration. Like I told you in that thread your car probably needs a tune-up, especially considering you just said in this thread that you have never changed the plugs in it. The reason you seem to be having so many problems with this car is most likely because of neglect. Instead of performing regular maintenance you seem to want to cut corners and do things like put additives in your gas.

MatthewMatthew
                          Participant

[quote=”thisisbuod” post=40170]The gas at shell is nitrogen enriched meaning there are nitrogen molecules bonded to the carbon molecules. Which reduces emissions without robbing you of power. The reason you shouldn’t let your tank get below a quarter full is because the fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel. You have another thread where you were talking about engine vibration. Like I told you in that thread your car probably needs a tune-up, especially considering you just said in this thread that you have never changed the plugs in it. The reason you seem to be having so many problems with this car is most likely because of neglect. Instead of performing regular maintenance you seem to want to cut corners and do things like put additives in your gas.[/quote]

ive never used additives never said i did at 42k miles cars below any manufacture recommended servicing

Steffen NyegaardSteffen Nyegaard
                            Participant

[quote=”thisisbuod” post=40170]The gas at shell is nitrogen enriched meaning there are nitrogen molecules bonded to the carbon molecules. Which reduces emissions without robbing you of power. The reason you shouldn’t let your tank get below a quarter full is because the fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel. You have another thread where you were talking about engine vibration. Like I told you in that thread your car probably needs a tune-up, especially considering you just said in this thread that you have never changed the plugs in it. The reason you seem to be having so many problems with this car is most likely because of neglect. Instead of performing regular maintenance you seem to want to cut corners and do things like put additives in your gas.[/quote]

There is already a bunch of additives in your gas by law. Clearly you have not understood why nitrogen is added to gasoline. Read up on it and try again and don’t speak until you know what you are talking about. You clearly don’t know anything about the chemistry that provides your power.

Pat CalhounPat Calhoun
                              Participant

Personally I have a flex fuel Ford Explorer and love it, and I have run it on E85 on several occasions until recently I filled up with E85 and my truck ran like crap for 2 weeks until I filled up again with regular. I found that the E85 was the issue. I don’t know whether the E85 sat for too long at the station or it was just bad in general, but I can tell you that I will never buy E85 again, whether for a Flex Fuel car or not. It only saves pennies on the dollar at the pump and I believe you make up for that in decrease in gas mileage in my experience and after my recent scare I just don’t feel it’s as good a fuel as regular gasoline. Thats just from my experience.

Veli -MattiVeli-Matti
                                Participant

[quote=”Nogood” post=40105]The problem with ethanol is that it is hygroscopic (likes to bind water). The issues are not with ethanol itself as it both runs cleaner and produces more power than the gasoline equivalent when implemented correctly. SAAB showed this many years ago and I remember seeing a converted mustang also years ago on TV getting more power http://www.greencar.com/articles/saab-biopower-100-concept-e100-ethanol-vehicle.php. You do reduce MPG which is due to the energy of the chemical bonds (no ring, lacking carbons and the alcohol group), but it is my (unsubstantiated) opinion that it could be equalled out greatly by reducing the power output gained from higher compression.

Ethanol is cool because it is green and produces water vapor as waste versus carbon particles. It is not feasible however to change from gasoline to ethanol until fuel cells are commonplace. There are simply not enough biomass production to sustain the american fleet of cars.

As for octane, octane is the resistance to spontaneous ignition under pressure. Running higher octane is rarely bad unless you go very very high. The spark will ignite and control the timing as usual. Going too low however can cause early detonation which of course is bad. Most newer cars will adjust the timing to the fuel to compensate for octane rating.
                                  Higher octane ratings allow you to run higher compressions = more torque = more power, this is what European and Asian cars do allowing the use of smaller engines, but equal power. In my country, standard petrol is 95 and premium 98.

I would never, ever put pure ethanol in my gasoline car simply because when you run out of timing to adjust you are in trouble.

Regarding ethanol and damage to the engine, most sources I have read point to the water in the gas as the main culprit of premature wear. Others say it will eat gaskets, o-rings etc. faster, however as benzene is a hasher solvent I find that hard to believe.[/quote]

I have filled e85 to my Saab 2.0t and in the start when driving with aprox. a 50/50 blend I experienced some hesitation under acceleration. Think this was duo to the ecu adjusting the ignition timing etc. For now have been driving with no problems. I changed the spark plugs for ones that can manage a little more heat. I dont think ethanol binds so much with water in a closed environment like a gas tank. The previous owner had made a “stage1” tune to the car so it allreay was tuned to higher octane gas (ethanol 105 octane).
                                  In Finland regular gas(95) is around 1,6€/l and premium 1,7€/l. E85 is 1,05 so you save a considerable amount. Consumption has gone up a few liters per 100km but it should go up drasticly to not be worthwhile with these prices. And ethanol is made domestically here from biowaste.

george gonzalezgeorge gonzalez
                                  Participant

Yes, and there are YouTube videos showing cars running on HHO. And free power by hooking a motor to a generator. And a whole lot more. All BS.

Alcohol is highly corrosive. Car fuel systems have been at least partially hardened to tolerate small amounts of alcohol, but using E85 is a whole lot more challenging. When I was a wee adult I repaired mimeograph machines (look them up). They ran on straight methanol (to dissolve the ink on the master) and after a year or two you had to replace all the rubber, plastic and brass parts in the methanol distribution system. The brass tubes would get unbelievably corroded. The hoses would just turn to mush. I’m not putting anything like that in my car!

You will see all kinds of media noise pushing alcohol, as reality is catching up to all that loose money that got invested in gasohol production. The tide is turning back, and the folks that have invested billions are investing a bit more to try to prop up their web of lies.

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…