Menu

Easy Rust Repair the ‘Hack’ Way

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Easy Rust Repair the ‘Hack’ Way

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

Time will tell but I think this repair worked out pretty good. For now. That may be all I need though. As for the color match, well, the entire car needs paint so I’m not really worried about it. What are your thoughts?

Viewing 7 replies - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Steve WebbSteve Webb
      Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=102189]Had the parts been available for the Vigor I might have gone that rout, but the parts are discontinued. Before they were discontinued they were $1100 per side. So for me, I think the tiger hair sandwich was appropriate.

Nice work BTW.[/quote]

Oh completely agree mate. no point in spending that kinda money unless it’s a show car or something. luckily for me I got another buddy who’s breaking a car like mine so stealing the arches off that for £20 lol

BobBob
        Participant

70 y.o. new guy here. For rust repair on a beater, in a complex area like a p.u. cab corner, after cutting out the rust sometimes I epoxy in some aluminum window screen. That can easily be hand formed to shape. Then fiberglass, grind down, bondo, fill & sand.

I’m gonna be up late watching your videos. Very down to earth approach.

cars gocars go
          Participant

Old thread I know, but I’m curious. Eric, how has this repair held up, as we’re approaching the 2 year mark? I have a hole in my wheel well of my 2000 explorer and I’m going to go this direction for the repair since it’s a basically unseen area, and allowing water to enter the cargo area.

Keymaster

[quote=”carsgovroom” post=164668]Old thread I know, but I’m curious. Eric, how has this repair held up, as we’re approaching the 2 year mark? I have a hole in my wheel well of my 2000 explorer and I’m going to go this direction for the repair since it’s a basically unseen area, and allowing water to enter the cargo area.[/quote]

It started bubbling about 6 months after I did the work. I knew it wouldn’t be a permanent repair. I just wanted to seal the trunk so that water stopped coming in.

cars gocars go
              Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=164685][quote=”carsgovroom” post=164668]Old thread I know, but I’m curious. Eric, how has this repair held up, as we’re approaching the 2 year mark? I have a hole in my wheel well of my 2000 explorer and I’m going to go this direction for the repair since it’s a basically unseen area, and allowing water to enter the cargo area.[/quote]

It started bubbling about 6 months after I did the work. I knew it wouldn’t be a permanent repair. I just wanted to seal the trunk so that water stopped coming in.[/quote]

Was it just the paint that started bubbling, or the whole fiberglass repair?

Keymaster

Just the paint. You must understand that once rust starts, it doesn’t stop unless you eliminate it completely. The only way to do that is to cut out the bad metal and replace it.

Leon AlexanderLeon Alexander
                  Participant

I was actually coming to ask same thing carsgovroom did, but that’s been covered. I also did want to note, I’m not sure if this was available at the time, but I’ve seen a lot of spray paint pop up over the last couple years that is supposed to match factory paint colors.

I haven’t tested it or know how long it last vs others, but one example 8oz can is $7.99. More than normal but if you want a cheap repair while trying to get close to factory paint, I imagine it’s worth a look. At a quick glance, most of the colors/cans have pretty positive reviews.

Viewing 7 replies - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…