Menu

ECU replacement

• Creator
    Topic
    Thomas DoddThomas Dodd
    Participant

Hey All,

I have a 1998 Honda Civic Ex. It has the 1.6L engine with an auto transmission. It has been experiencing a no-start condition for quite a while. I have diagnosed the issue as a bad ECU. The distributor, igniter, main relay, fuel pump and ignition switch are all good. Two questions. Would a salvage yard ECU, or any used ECU work in the Civic I have? Also, are there any important steps to take before, during or after the new ECU is installed? I haven’t replaced one before, but I feel fairly comfortable swapping it out myself. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

A replacement is just disconnect the battery, remove the ECU , install the replacement and reconnect the battery.
        It may take a few drive cycles for the replacement to learn things but there is no programming necessary.
        You can use a salvage yard ECU. I’d buy from one which guarantees that it is a good working unit.
        Just make sure you get an ECU for an automatic transmission.

Thomas DoddThomas Dodd
        Participant

Perfect! Thank you so much for the reply. I will opt for a junkyard ECU and inquire about a guarantee. Thanks!

MikeMike
          Participant

You’re welcome.
            Hope you’re back on the road soon.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…