Menu

Engine overheat after switching off

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Engine overheat after switching off

• Creator
    Topic
    Rahul JonesRahul Jones
    Participant

Hey guys,

In my Kia Sorento equipped with 2.4ltr G4JS engine, the engine temperature goes up after I have driven in highway and if I switch off the engine in couple of minutes. I need to idle the engine for awhile before I switch the engine off. Temperature goes up gradually and slowly but in 5mins if I turn the key ON the needle might be at 3/4th mark. I would accept a little increase but this is worse if I drive for longer in peak summer noon and I switch off the engine. I doubt if its normal. Every components of the cooling system is fine and my engine just had a rebuild as it wouldn’t pass due to bad piston rings. I am planning on installing a turbo timer so I could let the engine idle for a while though I have left.

NOTE: This was happening before the rebuild too.

Regards,
      Rahul Jones

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      GregGreg
      Participant

You are experiencing heat soak. Every vehicle does it some more than others. As long as it isn’t boiling over and loosing coolant it is fine.

CedricDuncanCedricDuncan
        Participant

I agree, As far your cooling system is working I think it’s all ok. However, you may follow some steps that may helpful
          ensure the coolant level
          Do not remove the radiator cap when the engine is hot
          Inspect for warped belts and leaking hoses
          Check defective thermostat

Above all best idea ask your local car experts like I do by asking my auto mechanic friend who working in an auto shop as “RX Mobile Auto Experts”

Rahul JonesRahul Jones
          Participant

I will check with the mechanic who did the rebuild tomorrow. They have said previously that this engine is known for piston ring failures in my region where it can go over 50 degree celcius in the peak summer. I guess no one knew the cause maybe?

I still doubt this might be a design flaw causing the premature piston ring failure. :unsure:

MikeMike
            Participant

Is this a turbo engine? If so, I believe it’s recommended to idle a turbo for a bit before shutting it down. This allows the turbo temperature to come down, instead of shutting it off while still red hot.

Rahul JonesRahul Jones
              Participant

This is not a turbo engine either.

Yesterday I got to speak with my mechanic, he said this issue is common in early Hyundai H1s Gasoline which uses the same engine sold being an SUV my mechanic thought it was not there in my Sorento. They fix this issue by adding an extra cooling fan that would run an extra 3-5mins after shutoff or alter the current fan wirings to do the same.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…