Menu

Engine Pinging

• Creator
    Topic
    earnedit3earnedit3
    Participant

Hi, newbie here. I’ve seen a lot of EricTheCarGuy on youtube, so joined the website just now. Anyhoo..
      1995 Ford F150, 154k, 302 V8

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

are there any codes? you might want to check your knock sensor

MikeMike
        Participant

You should start by fixing the code. Insufficient EGR flow. You say you replaced the EGR valve. You should check the vacuum lines going to the valve to see if they are cracked.

MattMatt
          Participant

Quoted From Six6vetteguy:

You should start by fixing the code. Insufficient EGR flow. You say you replaced the EGR valve. You should check the vacuum lines going to the valve to see if they are cracked.

Agreed. No EGR would lead to higher than normal combustion temperatures which could cause yer pinging.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
            Participant

Yup, me and beefy are on the same page here.C8-)

dreamer2355dreamer2355
              Participant

It sounds like your EGR system is stuck ‘closed’.

Does that Ford have an EVR? I would be checking all my vacuum lines and looking at a wiring diagram.

Third GearThird Gear
                Participant

Sometimes you need to get into those passages with screwdriver, coat hanger or something to break loose the hard carbon.

earnedit3earnedit3
                  Participant

Hey Six6vetteguy, yes, the code is 332, egr system, and I do not have a knock sensor that I’m aware of. Thanks.

MattMatt
                    Participant

I realize this doesn’t apply to your vehicle, but I watched it and it immediately made me think of this thread. I have a ’91 F-150 with the 5.0 and auto trans. The thing is getting terribad MPG lately, so I will be looking into that. The point is, it’s too rainy and I’m too tired to go and look at the EGR system on mine right now, which I’m betting is the same as yours. But these tips might point you in the right direction, as Duane is right up there with Eric as far as repair videos go in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVcWDkwTxj8

earnedit3earnedit3
                      Participant

Quoted From Beefy:

I realize this doesn’t apply to your vehicle, but I watched it and it immediately made me think of this thread. I have a ’91 F-150 with the 5.0 and auto trans. The thing is getting terribad MPG lately, so I will be looking into that. The point is, it’s too rainy and I’m too tired to go and look at the EGR system on mine right now, which I’m betting is the same as yours. But these tips might point you in the right direction, as Duane is right up there with Eric as far as repair videos go in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVcWDkwTxj8

THANKS for all the responses guys. I have retraced the vacuum lines, and had to replace one as it looked cracracked, but of course may have missed one. Wish I had one of those computers to test!!! Both Ford and another garage want almost $100 to diagnose. I’m in the wrong dang business. Will let you all know what happens!!! Thanks again!!!

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                        Keymaster

We technicians come by our knowledge through pain, suffering, and a massive tool investment so that will be included in the price of the labor. That said I’m on board with the EGR theory, you should check for any clogged passages that could be preventing the EGR gasses from getting to the cylinders.

earnedit3earnedit3
                          Participant

Quoted From EricTheCarGuy:

We technicians come by our knowledge through pain, suffering, and a massive tool investment so that will be included in the price of the labor. That said I’m on board with the EGR theory, you should check for any clogged passages that could be preventing the EGR gasses from getting to the cylinders.

Thanks for the response, Eric. Love your videos. Really helpful!!! Even to Shadetrees like me!!!. Will keep you updated on the diagnosis so it may help others. Great site, Eric!!! Thanks again.

earnedit3earnedit3
                            Participant

Hey, forum friends, just got back from the shop I’ve taken my vehicles to, and it was a bad MAF Sensor. It was reading as tho I was at 5,000 ft above sealevel. And I live in Florida. So I went to my favorite place to shop, used one of my gift cards, had them compare prices with the other auto parts place in town, and GOT DIRTY!!! Well, not too badly. Hope this post helps somebody, and thanks everybody for your time!! Great site, Eric!!!

earnedit3earnedit3
                              Participant

Quoted From earnedit3:

Hey, forum friends, just got back from the shop I’ve taken my vehicles to, and it was a bad MAF Sensor. It was reading as tho I was at 5,000 ft above sealevel. And I live in Florida. So I went to my favorite place to shop, used one of my gift cards, had them compare prices with the other auto parts place in town, and GOT DIRTY!!! Well, not too badly. Hope this post helps somebody, and thanks everybody for your time!! Great site, Eric!!!

Well, guys, hate to backtrack on my previous post, but after installing the new MAF, resetting my trucks computer–ECM–it is still pinging, seems like worse than before!!! I then checked the code KOEO and got 133, which isn’t even a code for my trucks year. Even checked the timing and it is so close to 10 deg. btdc it hurts! HELP!!!

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                                Participant

It sounds as though the shop you took it to obviously misdiagnosed the vehicle as to start with MAF measure air flow entering the intake.

Sensors that deal with altitude are MAP/BAP sensors.

How are you retrieving the code? Is it OBD1 or OBD2?

earnedit3earnedit3
                                  Participant

Quoted From dreamer2355:

It sounds as though the shop you took it to obviously misdiagnosed the vehicle as to start with MAF measure air flow entering the intake.

Sensors that deal with altitude are MAP/BAP sensors.

How are you retrieving the code? Is it OBD1 or OBD2?

Hey Dreamer, its OBDI, and I am jumping the diagnostic connector with a paperclip then watching the CEL flashes, using KOEO. So MAF sensors aren’t altitude sensitive?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…