Menu

engine rattle on start up

• Creator
    Topic
    Brent SpomerBrent Spomer
    Participant

1997 Toyota Rav4 with 2.0L 4 cylinder. Recent overhaul. When the cars has sat for a day or two the engine will rattle at start up for a few seconds and the “oil pressure” light will remain on for longer than I’d expect. Oil pump was new (OEM) and the oil pressure is as I’d expect for a new pump, etc. If I shut things off and restart the light goes out almost immediately (as I’d expect) and there is no rattle. When the engine is fully warmed up it sounds great. By rattle I mean like valve train noise or rod bearing noise. I suspect the problem may be loose main bearings that are allowing leak down. During the overhaul the standard size main bearings were used and they may have been a little loose – e.g. the clearance may have been at the high end of the allowable or just a bit over. Not sure but that is what I suspect. But there may be other things to cause the leak down as well. Hoping someone has some insight. Thanks.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      none nonenone
      Participant

I’m not familiar with that engine, but I’ll throw one possibility at you. Try replacing the oil filter. Maybe it’s a faulty drain back valve issue.

Rahul JonesRahul Jones
        Participant

Which grade oil do you use? How much KMs since the overhaul?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…