Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Engine Remplacement vidéos (your thoughts?)

Engine Remplacement vidéos (your thoughts?)

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Engine Remplacement vidéos (your thoughts?)

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

Yea it’s weird that I’m posting this one in this discussion but I have a larger agenda. I’m wondering what your thoughts are as an ETCG viewer about me doing videos like this and selling them to help support he site and the shop. Early on when I started selling videos I got quite a bit of flack for it but it seems to have done well and has helped ETCG grown into what it is today. In fact just about 100% of those sales went into paying for this site.

So what are your thoughts on ETCG pay videos?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      WayneWayne
      Participant

I don’t think pay vids are a bad thing, especially bolt for near bolt. Short, or shorter things such as doing fluids, brakes, etc IMO are at least part of the equation as to why most people (including myself) like your vids more than the others out there. Not simply just giving commentary or a video overview on what was done, but as it’s being done, and shown, usually with some rye humor.

For those long vids that at least has to double your actually doing the job time wise, not including editing, so really for those of us just curious to see the process with perhaps some bits just mentioned I wouldn’t mind 2 versions of any of the lengthier repair vids. 1 perhaps slightly cut down, the “theatrical release” if you will to youtube, and the “extended cut: bolt for bolt, bruise for bruise” editions that are pay…

Just my thoughts/opinion on it..

As to releasing 1 encompassing video from split versions as pay, I don’t think thats a bad thing either for those that want to download it or just view without bothering for the next part. I don’t see how it could rub anyone rational the wrong way myself, but I’ve been wrong before.

SpawnedXSpawnedX
        Participant

I personally am sick of the entitlement issues people have with car repair. A lot of hard work and money goes into a technicians knowledge and skill and people who think they should get it all for free are annoying. You deserve to earn money for your knowledge and expertise and the amount of money they are saving by using that video is so astronomical versus the cost that if they are bothered by it, they should just sell their car because the fact that they have to pay for gasoline probably pisses them off.

Keymaster

[quote=”Wayne613″ post=42477]I don’t think pay vids are a bad thing, especially bolt for near bolt. Short, or shorter things such as doing fluids, brakes, etc IMO are at least part of the equation as to why most people (including myself) like your vids more than the others out there. Not simply just giving commentary or a video overview on what was done, but as it’s being done, and shown, usually with some rye humor.

For those long vids that at least has to double your actually doing the job time wise, not including editing, so really for those of us just curious to see the process with perhaps some bits just mentioned I wouldn’t mind 2 versions of any of the lengthier repair vids. 1 perhaps slightly cut down, the “theatrical release” if you will to youtube, and the “extended cut: bolt for bolt, bruise for bruise” editions that are pay…

Just my thoughts/opinion on it..

As to releasing 1 encompassing video from split versions as pay, I don’t think thats a bad thing either for those that want to download it or just view without bothering for the next part. I don’t see how it could rub anyone rational the wrong way myself, but I’ve been wrong before.[/quote]

It’s interesting you mention this because that’s exactly what I’m doing with the Premium Membership videos. There are some versions that Premium Members have access to that are ‘extended cuts’ of existing YouTube videos. They also have access to some exclusive videos that are only available here on the site.

Thanks for your input.

EdwinEdwin
            Participant

As long as the engine replacement videos provide all the necessary and correct essentials and procedures; I think you are entitled to get paid for it. In my opinion, that goes for any job that is as extensive as this.

I haven’t found a reason to doubt the thoroughness and concept of your videos. I say keep doing what you’re doing, because it seems to be working well thus far.

LarryLarry
              Participant

Eric

I have stated before that your videos are the best I have seen. Mainly , because you take time to really explain things out for us.

I have no problem paying for your videos, and for those that do, should think about the hard work you put into them.

It’s your time and expertise your putting into this, that allow us to reap the benefits of learning from you.

Do you not think instructors at your local technical schools get paid? Yes they do, so I don’t see why you shouldn’t.

Your providing a service, and should get paid well for it. I honestly think you should charge more, but that’s just my opinion.

Louisville Larry

EdEd
                Participant

Have you thought about car specific videos, something like a haynes manuel but on video that you could sell…i know that would be huge and take forever besides having all the cars, but if you could partner with a company, maybe hire a cameraman or assistant…idk.
                  Personally, I’d buy your videos in a SECOND! if you had one for a specific car. Also you wouldn’t have to cover everything in said car, just the major problem areas (pattern?) and things that were unique for that car.
                  You could also put like the whole set of videos for the subaru or whatever on a DVD. and then as you made new videos add DVDs to the set for the car.
                  Just my 2 cents.

LeonLeon
                  Participant

I have watched two of your engine replacement videos (on Youtube) and I think that they are a quality video to pay for, especially when it is on the vehicle you own. As a business model, the best engine replacement videos just for the premium members are the ones for a performance upgrade on cars like a 91 Camaro or an e30 BMW. Those should help get the tuner crowd to your business.

Eric SouthernEric Southern
                    Participant

Eric,

Your videos are unlike anything I’ve seem on the internet and I’m impressed by the quality, realism and practicality of your approach to repairs. So, I totally understand why some of your videos are for sell. They are worth it. Its easier for me to learn from some else’s mistakes. Also, since you don’t use a lift, your videos hit home to the DYI’er like myself. You give me the perseverence to tackle repairs on my own. I am a bit skepticle about junk yard engine swaps, even with the warranty. Losing 6-7 hours on a bad engine you just installed is hard to recover from. However, I understood how you got there which brings up another point, your honesty, which I greatly appreciate. Stay dirty!

Eric S.

EricWaterTruckEricWaterTruck
                      Participant

I have no problem with pay videos…but I wish I could watch them for free!!! If you were planning on making a few, I would start with ones for the most common on Internet searches…like I’m talking to a rookie…someone slap me. There are many many honda timing belt videos…most of them suck 🙁 in fact I haven’t really seen a good free one, but it is comical to see people try removing that harmonic balancer.

Haynes and chilton books are alright but video is king. You really seem to have a way with the camera as well.

Good luck!

Keymaster

[quote=”EdHall23″ post=44114]Have you thought about car specific videos, something like a haynes manuel but on video that you could sell…i know that would be huge and take forever besides having all the cars, but if you could partner with a company, maybe hire a cameraman or assistant…idk.
                          Personally, I’d buy your videos in a SECOND! if you had one for a specific car. Also you wouldn’t have to cover everything in said car, just the major problem areas (pattern?) and things that were unique for that car.
                          You could also put like the whole set of videos for the subaru or whatever on a DVD. and then as you made new videos add DVDs to the set for the car.
                          Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

It’s funny you mention this because when I started ETCG I had this very idea in mind. It’s kinda the reason I call them “VManuals”. In the future I hope to flesh out the concept more as time and production allow. In fact I already have quite a bit shot on MDX service and repair.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…