Menu

ETCG Gets a 1993 Acura Vigor

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions ETCG Gets a 1993 Acura Vigor

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

For $500 I don’t think I did too bad. Besides, I think it will make for some great video. What are your thoughts?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
      Participant

Not Bad, should provide for some great material.

CarmenCarmen
        Participant

Can’t wait to see videos on the car.

Also don’t worry about the price difference with premium gasoline- if you were to use 87 over 91 or 93, the savings would be so little you honestly wouldn’t even really notice them. On my ’00 TL I always use 93 and the car runs a lot smoother than when I first bought it, you could tell the previous owner wasn’t using premium.

Eric, do you plan to use seafoam or any type of injector cleaner because the car is so old? Not sure if you’re into those things. I think you’ve mentioned it before but I don’t remember.

I have a liking for these cars from the early 90s. Even though they’re getting to be 20+ years old and you see less and less of them every day, they seemed so revolutionary for their day- air bags, ABS, ect.

DavidDavid
          Participant

These are neat/weird. My parents almost bought one in ’94 and I can remember my dad asking, “what’s under the hood?” An inline 5 turned sideways from the drive wheels being the answer, he got a little scared and bought the nicest Accord on the lot instead. In future vids, please expand on the engineering behind that engine layout and what you’ve seen in the field.

Nicholas ClarkNicholas Clark
            Participant

Well, here’s my take. First of all let me come clean and say that I love 5 cylinders. They sound like half a 10 cylinder and I love those too. I drive a 2007 Colorado I5 and it was fast and fun, so I am certainly addicted. Anyway, there a several ways to go about this. My main idea would be to actually go through with that transmission swap. Convert it to a manual. You’re probably not going to convert the Fairmont to a manual so give the fans what they want with a manual conversion on a very unique car. I think that because you know Hondas/Acuras so well you have a clear advantage that will make an informative video series.

You’re going to have to fix the rust and I think that would be a great idea — you have never done any body repairs and now you don’t have to sacrifice the Fairmont to the body and paint fans if you don’t want to. Think of it like this — you can do the things that the fans want with the Vigor at least to an extent. The Vigor is still your car but since it’s such a “different” vehicle I would be there are a few people dying for information on that vehicle. Stuff like how to pull the dash apart when your blower motor is broken. I say get the engine in tip-top shape, do the manual conversion, fix the peeling clear coat and rust as best you can, then have a reliable, fun, POS. The Fairmont is going to be your car that you can’t leave anywhere because you love it so much — believe me, I know the feeling. Have fun with the Vigor Eric. Don’t forget to record everything. How to get pine needles out, how to replace a stereo, speakers, and all that stuff. Be well!

Nicholas Clark from Pittsburgh

Michele PensottiMichele Pensotti
              Participant

I can’t wait to see you actually weld that manifold! :woohoo:

It would be the first time we see you weld after the lessons from MrTig :cheer:

Have you ever tried to use a MIG welder? I have one and it’s quite “entertaining” to create or re-create parts from scrap metal 🙂

Oh, now that you mentioned Honda Preludes as being quite rare, I’ve been seeing a nice mint condition black one very near here.

Would you like to see some photos of it?

I had never seen a Prelude before, it’s actually a very nice looking car :cheer:

Live long and prosper (and stay dirty!)

10nico

Keymaster

[quote=”Yoyo” post=81716]Can’t wait to see videos on the car.

Also don’t worry about the price difference with premium gasoline- if you were to use 87 over 91 or 93, the savings would be so little you honestly wouldn’t even really notice them. On my ’00 TL I always use 93 and the car runs a lot smoother than when I first bought it, you could tell the previous owner wasn’t using premium.

Eric, do you plan to use seafoam or any type of injector cleaner because the car is so old? Not sure if you’re into those things. I think you’ve mentioned it before but I don’t remember.

I have a liking for these cars from the early 90s. Even though they’re getting to be 20+ years old and you see less and less of them every day, they seemed so revolutionary for their day- air bags, ABS, ect.[/quote]

I used to service this car years ago at the dealer. In fact, the guy that sold it to me was so impressed with the way the car ran after I serviced it, he actually came back to the dealer to thank me personally. That said, the engine and drivetrain are in fantastic shape. Most of the issues with this car are cosmetic, not mechanical.

As for cleaning injectors, I’m not a big fan. I’ve seen it have little to no effect in most instances. I’m not saying it’s useless, it’s just not my goto for solving performance issues. I prefer to use my injector cleaner set up over what you would find at the auto parts store or Seafoam. I used it in this video to move a vehicle that had a bad fuel pump.

Keymaster

[quote=”CRXPilot” post=81730]These are neat/weird. My parents almost bought one in ’94 and I can remember my dad asking, “what’s under the hood?” An inline 5 turned sideways from the drive wheels being the answer, he got a little scared and bought the nicest Accord on the lot instead. In future vids, please expand on the engineering behind that engine layout and what you’ve seen in the field.[/quote]

That’s been asked about quite a bit since I announced I bought the car. Probably not a bad idea for a future video. Thanks for the suggestion.

Keymaster

[quote=”Hockeyclark” post=81733]Well, here’s my take. First of all let me come clean and say that I love 5 cylinders. They sound like half a 10 cylinder and I love those too. I drive a 2007 Colorado I5 and it was fast and fun, so I am certainly addicted. Anyway, there a several ways to go about this. My main idea would be to actually go through with that transmission swap. Convert it to a manual. You’re probably not going to convert the Fairmont to a manual so give the fans what they want with a manual conversion on a very unique car. I think that because you know Hondas/Acuras so well you have a clear advantage that will make an informative video series.

You’re going to have to fix the rust and I think that would be a great idea — you have never done any body repairs and now you don’t have to sacrifice the Fairmont to the body and paint fans if you don’t want to. Think of it like this — you can do the things that the fans want with the Vigor at least to an extent. The Vigor is still your car but since it’s such a “different” vehicle I would be there are a few people dying for information on that vehicle. Stuff like how to pull the dash apart when your blower motor is broken. I say get the engine in tip-top shape, do the manual conversion, fix the peeling clear coat and rust as best you can, then have a reliable, fun, POS. The Fairmont is going to be your car that you can’t leave anywhere because you love it so much — believe me, I know the feeling. Have fun with the Vigor Eric. Don’t forget to record everything. How to get pine needles out, how to replace a stereo, speakers, and all that stuff. Be well!

Nicholas Clark from Pittsburgh[/quote]

I think you got most of the points spot on. I do love the Fairmont, and I would have a hard time cutting it up to put a manual in it. I’m on the fence with that if I’m honest. It would be great to have a V8 with a 5 speed but I think it would kill the ‘sleeper’ mentality I’m going for. That said, I had the same thought about the Vigor. EVERYONE seems to want me to do a manual swap in a car. This MIGHT be a good candidate. I would need to find a manual trans donor car though. It’s a lot more than just swapping the transmission. I’d also need the computer, possibly a wiring harness, the console, and the clutch pedal assembly and master cylinder for starters.

The Vigor is actually in great mechanical shape. I used to service it years ago at the dealer where i worked. In fact, that’s how I know the former owner. Most of the work to the Vigor will be cosmetic. Cosmetic work can carry over to may other makes and models so I’m less concerned about it reaching a very narrow audience.

Thanks for your input Nick.

Keymaster

[quote=”10nico” post=81748]I can’t wait to see you actually weld that manifold! :woohoo:

It would be the first time we see you weld after the lessons from MrTig :cheer:

Have you ever tried to use a MIG welder? I have one and it’s quite “entertaining” to create or re-create parts from scrap metal 🙂

Oh, now that you mentioned Honda Preludes as being quite rare, I’ve been seeing a nice mint condition black one very near here.

Would you like to see some photos of it?

I had never seen a Prelude before, it’s actually a very nice looking car :cheer:

Live long and prosper (and stay dirty!)

10nico[/quote]

I used to have a 94 Prelude DOHC VTEC myself. Fun car to drive that’s for sure. I miss it. As for welding, I do have some experience. I have a MIG welder, TIG welder, and a plasma cutter, I need to get some Argon for the welders though. It will be nice to play with those toys when I get the chance. For now I need to see where the exhaust is actually leaking. I haven’t fully checked the manifold yet. The exhaust is aftermarket so that is also a good candidate for the leaks. If I find the manifold is cracked, I’ll defiantly break out the welder to fix it.

James NicholsJames Nichols
                        Participant

Wow Eric! I’ve been a viewer for a long time, but now I just HAD to make an account to say: Welcome to the Club!

I’ve owned a 93 Vigor for 4 years now, and your videos have been essential in showing me some of the things I’ve needed to know to keep this car on the road.

I literally could not keep myself in my chair when I saw the name of this video – I’m pretty sure I woke the neighbors in my excitement! 😳

That radio you showed in the video certainly looks like the right unit, does your Vigor still have the speakers above the rear view mirror? Those DSP radios are mighty scarce so congratulations on holding onto one!

No oil leaks? Not even from the distributor seal? Impressive. Also impressive that it’s only 132k miles, most of us are up in the 200k range. I’m a member of the Vigor owner’s club you mentioned, and someone recently linked to our mailing list pictures of a Vigor dead in the junkyard from a collision, with 986K+ miles on the odometer!

I’m seriously excited now. I had hoped you would post a video someday fixing something on a Vigor. Never in a million years did I expect you to BUY one! Mine is coming up on needing a timing belt again, so my heart skipped a beat when you said you might someday do a video on that procedure. I know that video may not come soon, or ever, but it would be happy coincidence if it came out before I attempt that replacement.

If you DO go for a manual swap the black plastic panel surrounding the shifter does unscrew from the center console. So if you find a manual center console that isn’t in good condition or a color match to your interior, just take that part off of it.

This is so AWESOME! :banana:

Petr MiskerikPetr Miskerik
                          Participant

It would be great rebuild this to manual gearbox…
                            And i think, it may be also cheap to.

Keymaster

[quote=”smilrtn” post=81809]Wow Eric! I’ve been a viewer for a long time, but now I just HAD to make an account to say: Welcome to the Club!

I’ve owned a 93 Vigor for 4 years now, and your videos have been essential in showing me some of the things I’ve needed to know to keep this car on the road.

I literally could not keep myself in my chair when I saw the name of this video – I’m pretty sure I woke the neighbors in my excitement! 😳

That radio you showed in the video certainly looks like the right unit, does your Vigor still have the speakers above the rear view mirror? Those DSP radios are mighty scarce so congratulations on holding onto one!

No oil leaks? Not even from the distributor seal? Impressive. Also impressive that it’s only 132k miles, most of us are up in the 200k range. I’m a member of the Vigor owner’s club you mentioned, and someone recently linked to our mailing list pictures of a Vigor dead in the junkyard from a collision, with 986K+ miles on the odometer!

I’m seriously excited now. I had hoped you would post a video someday fixing something on a Vigor. Never in a million years did I expect you to BUY one! Mine is coming up on needing a timing belt again, so my heart skipped a beat when you said you might someday do a video on that procedure. I know that video may not come soon, or ever, but it would be happy coincidence if it came out before I attempt that replacement.

If you DO go for a manual swap the black plastic panel surrounding the shifter does unscrew from the center console. So if you find a manual center console that isn’t in good condition or a color match to your interior, just take that part off of it.

This is so AWESOME! :banana:[/quote]

It’s nice to have advocates for this purchase. There are some that just don’t see the point. I see potential for a lot of good videos from this car. Besides, for $500, I don’t think I did that bad.

I have EXTENSIVE knowledge of these vehicles, I was an Acura tech after all and I’ve serviced hundreds of them. I hope to show many of the common issues that plague these cars. The distributor oil leak you mentioned, the oil filter housing leak, broken coil springs, upper control arms, blower motors, ignition switches, the lovely captive rotors (I’ve already covered that however on an Accord), and the exhaust manifold cracks and heat shield rattles. I also hope to do a timing belt video as well as cover what you need to do to repair the lower oil seals in the spark plug wells.

The material that I think will transfer to other makes will be body work, repairing the leather seats, and finding and repairing water leaks.

I’ve actually serviced this car at the dealer years ago. Believe it or not, this car is in fantastic mechanical shape except for the tires. As you can see by the video, I have that one covered. Fixed up, it will be a really nice car. I’ve actually been looking for one of these for some time. I was hoping for a manual but that might be something I look into before I’m done with it. That would involve a lot more than many people expect. Besides the trans, I’ll need a computer, a wiring harness, and the shifter boot you mentioned along with the shifter itself. It would be best if I could find one in salvage that was a manual or purchase a donor car. These are hard to find though so I don’t know how I’ll handle that. I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks for your input.

Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
                              Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=81886] There are some that just don’t see the point. I see potential for a lot of good videos from this car. Besides, for $500, I don’t think I did that bad.

[/quote]

Anyone that does not “get it” is not really a wrench-head. There is nothing cooler (than your kids of course) than finding a rare car and bringing her back from the dead and making her a daily driver (and having a blast doing it). I have always wanted to see a Vigor, you don’t find them much here in TN, this is more of domestic country. The only in-line 5 I have ever seen was 2 1.6L Saabs owned by the same guy.

Well so much for talking, now lets get on to you fixing her up :stick: 😆

David BachellerDavid Bacheller
                                Participant

Congrats on the new to you vigor. Design wise, shades of a couple of Audis I drove: five cylinders and a blower motor replacement procedure that starts, “First, dismantle the entire vehicle.” My audi adventures turned me away from German cars forever.

On the possible welding of the exhaust manifold, depending upon the material in question, if it is cast iron I believe the preferred repair is bronze brazing with an O/A torch. Check with Keith Fenner on youtube, as I am no expert.

Thanks again for all the great vids, instructional and commentary.

David B. in Champaign

Keymaster

[quote=”docdavidb” post=82125]Congrats on the new to you vigor. Design wise, shades of a couple of Audis I drove: five cylinders and a blower motor replacement procedure that starts, “First, dismantle the entire vehicle.” My audi adventures turned me away from German cars forever.

On the possible welding of the exhaust manifold, depending upon the material in question, if it is cast iron I believe the preferred repair is bronze brazing with an O/A torch. Check with Keith Fenner on youtube, as I am no expert.

Thanks again for all the great vids, instructional and commentary.

David B. in Champaign[/quote]

I’m not a fan of working on German cars either. For the same reasons.

The exhaust manifold is stainless on the Vigor. If it does have a crack, I’m sure i’ll be able to weld it. The rest of the exhaust isn’t looking too good either, so we’ll see.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…