Menu

ETCG Tries Gumout Regane

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum ETCG Tries Gumout Regane

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Petr MiskerikPetr Miskerik
    Participant

I really understand this and I don’t think this is bad. It may help all of us. Thanks Eric. You have my support.

Bryan HallBryan
      Participant

:stick:

Eric, please understand that I’m not trying to make your life difficult or antagonize you, but am instead trying to understand. I do acknowledge that this might be poking you with a bit of a stick, thus the icon above… and an advanced apology.

In the past, you’ve declared that you don’t particularly care for additives of any sort, and I can respect that.

This video did rather come across as little more than a commercial, so I’d like to ask a few questions regarding Gumout Regane.

What makes this different than any of the other fuel additives and cleaners… say, Seafoam, Marvel’s Mystery Oil, or any of the others?

Is there any chance of a deep-dive video on this product? As in.. here’s the condition of the engine both before and after use, with close-ups of the valves, piston heads, and such?

You said it works good, and I trust you for that. But you’ve always in the past gone out of your way to prove if something works or not. I’d like to see the proof, if at all possible. Barring that, I’d even be happy with a more in-depth write-up of what you found when you did it for your own satisfaction.

Respectfully (and apologetically),

Hinoki

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

[quote=”Hinoki” post=113466]:stick:

Eric, please understand that I’m not trying to make your life difficult or antagonize you, but am instead trying to understand. I do acknowledge that this might be poking you with a bit of a stick, thus the icon above… and an advanced apology.

In the past, you’ve declared that you don’t particularly care for additives of any sort, and I can respect that.

This video did rather come across as little more than a commercial, so I’d like to ask a few questions regarding Gumout Regane.

What makes this different than any of the other fuel additives and cleaners… say, Seafoam, Marvel’s Mystery Oil, or any of the others?

Is there any chance of a deep-dive video on this product? As in.. here’s the condition of the engine both before and after use, with close-ups of the valves, piston heads, and such?

You said it works good, and I trust you for that. But you’ve always in the past gone out of your way to prove if something works or not. I’d like to see the proof, if at all possible. Barring that, I’d even be happy with a more in-depth write-up of what you found when you did it for your own satisfaction.

Respectfully (and apologetically),

Hinoki[/quote]

No worries man. After posting the video this morning, I’ve been poked, prodded, just about everything short of being drawn and quartered. That said, I understand the frustration of the fans on this video. Here’s the truth. It is a paid promotional video and as such there are certain guidelines I need to follow in order to get paid for the video. The first is the timeframe. Unfortunately I didn’t have the time to shoot before and after views of the intake valves. In fact, I didn’t get a borescope until several days after I shot and edited this video. Had I had that tool at the time, I would have done my best to put that into the video. That brings us back to the time issue. I would have had to run through the entire tank of gas in order to show the ‘after’ shot anyway, and with only one day to produce the video, that wasn’t going to happen. Second, the script. With a paid promotion they usually present you with a script to follow. I did everything I could to follow the script to the letter. After all, they paid for the promotion and like I would with any customer, I did my best to give the customer what they were looking for.

In short I believe I did the best I could with the time given. I don’t think it’s a bad video. I think Regane has a lot of potential. In fact, the Vigor is running pretty good since I put that product in the tank. I’m still not through the entire tank however. I’ll keep you posted on this thread after that happens.

I made no attempt to present this video as anything but a paid promotion. When you get to the level that I’m at, people come to you with these things. You also have a lot more overhead to cover. As a result, you look at opportunities like this as a way of taking care of that overhead. Make no mistake, EricTheCarGuy is a business, always has been. I see myself in the business of helping people and since the fans reap the benefits of my work and are not picking up the cost directly, someone else has to pick up the tab. That falls on the shoulders of the advertisers and also direct promotions such as this. Also know that the bigger ETCG gets, the more I need to invest in it to keep it going. Promotional videos like this are one way I’m able to make ends meet and I’m grateful for the opportunity Gumout provided for me here. I hope at some point the 90% of the fans that didn’t seem to get it today, come around and realize that fact. In the mean time, should another opportunity like this come up, I’ll do my best to take the notes I’ve gathered from the comments of this video and apply it to the next. The fans have been very clear about what they expect from a video of this type.

That said, there are no immediate plans to produce any more videos of this type. So rest easy knowing that I have no intention of producing one of these a week. Besides, you’re still getting new repair videos on Fridays. That won’t change. If and when these promotional videos come up, they will not take the place of the repair videos.

Thanks for your comment and input.

Keymaster

[quote=”rushlife” post=113456]I really understand this and I don’t think this is bad. It may help all of us. Thanks Eric. You have my support.[/quote]

And thank YOU for your support. It is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Bryan HallBryan
            Participant

I wholeheartedly agree.

And in all honesty? I’m perfectly fine with paid promotionals.

I can also honestly say that if there was a ‘This is a paid promotional video’ note on the video’s intro or notation in the comments, I’d never have even opened my yap.

Eric, I’d say get as many of those as are offered. Something stating that it’s a paid promotional video, and I’ll make a POINT of watching them so you get the play-through credits. Just like I make sure I keep adblocker off while on your site.

Best of luck to you in that, Eric!

-Hinoki

A toyotakarlIts me

IMHO… I just think this is one of the few times that fans have seen Eric being “Scripted” and he just doesn’t sound like his “normal” self…

Everyone is used to Eric’s dialog being slightly “off the cuff”, yet still informative, educational and humorous… “scripted” just makes him sound like someone else completely… A different sound for him….

However, I really don’t think Eric would endorse a product if he didn’t think it would work…

I have said it once and will say it again… I have never believed in all the “In-tank” treatments for fuel injectors because I have found so few that have delivered results (Techron is the only one I could recommend)… I have gone as far as to call them snake oil. However, I also will say I have never tried this particular product and will give it a try for myself…

Business is business… and $$$ keeps the lights on and the camera rolling…

JMHO

-Karl

Keymaster

[quote=”Hinoki” post=113493]I wholeheartedly agree.

And in all honesty? I’m perfectly fine with paid promotionals.

I can also honestly say that if there was a ‘This is a paid promotional video’ note on the video’s intro or notation in the comments, I’d never have even opened my yap.

Eric, I’d say get as many of those as are offered. Something stating that it’s a paid promotional video, and I’ll make a POINT of watching them so you get the play-through credits. Just like I make sure I keep adblocker off while on your site.

Best of luck to you in that, Eric!

-Hinoki[/quote]

This is a quote from the first line of the description of the video.

“This is a sponsored video created by me on behalf of Gumout. The opinions and text are all mine.”

JaapJaap
                  Participant

Watching this video makes me rethink all of the other “tool review” videos you have made.

Please announce that it’s an advertisement IN the video.
                    Why not just be honest to your viewers.

Think about it: if you keep your viewers loyal, there are very many ways to make income on that: ask for money, paid subscriptions, ads, whatever.

If you keep your loyalty to the advertisers, your viewers will leave you and you’ll have less ways to make money.

Keymaster

[quote=”Jaap” post=113557]Watching this video makes me rethink all of the other “tool review” videos you have made.

Please announce that it’s an advertisement IN the video.
                      Why not just be honest to your viewers.

Think about it: if you keep your viewers loyal, there are very many ways to make income on that: ask for money, paid subscriptions, ads, whatever.

If you keep your loyalty to the advertisers, your viewers will leave you and you’ll have less ways to make money.[/quote]

As stated above, the first line in the description reads that it’s a paid advertisement. Putting that in the video seemed unnecessary. I think it was pretty obvious.

Second, I do not get paid for tool reviews therefore I’m able to create unbiased reviews which I present to you. With the Gumout video that was not the case. In this case Gumout was my customer and I did my best to give them the video they paid for.

Third, as a business person you do what you can to keep the business alive which means exploring many different income streams. You don’t always have the luxury of cherry picking the jobs or offers you take.

Lastly I would wager you have no clue as to what it takes to run a YouTube channel or a business for that matter. I would appreciate a little consideration for that. This very website takes up tremendous resources to operate, and guess what, it helps a LOT of people. So if you’re wondering what I’m doing with the money, look no further than this website and the over 500 repair videos I’ve produced to help people I’ve never met or seen.

I’m aware you don’t like the video but you also need to consider that I’m still posting repair videos every Friday which I will never replace with paid advertisements.

I know there’s been a lot of pushback on this video but really? I never hid the fact that it was a paid advertisement. You would think I went around with a pair of scissors cutting off the testicles of everyone that watched it based on some of the responses I’ve gotten. OK, I get it, you don’t like paid advertisement videos. If that’s the case, when I list a video as “This video brought to you by…”, don’t watch it.

RyanRyan
                      Participant

I knew right when I watched this video that there would be a lot of push back and claims that Eric “sold out”. I really don’t know why people are getting so upset. Right off the bat you made it clear that this was a paid advertisement. If you had disguised a paid ad as a regular video that would be different. But I know you wouldn’t do that to us.

I say take any sort of paid ads you get offered and think you can be honest about, because I know you’ll take that money and invest it right back into improving content for us.

I saw that briansmobile1 also got a lot of flak for the trailer hitch video he did since that was an ad. I don’t know what the issue with that was either.

I trust Eric and know whatever he does is ultimately in the best interest of the fans because he understands how important that relationship is. Why not everyone else try to understand too?

WayneWayne
                        Participant

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I have no issue with it; not sure why anyone would bunch up their underwear on it or other this product over others personal advertisements. I haven’t seen much of that on comments…

Make it from what you can if you’re ok with whatever it is you’re being asked to plug I say. Bob Vila it up, and damn the PBS execs. 😉 Wish we were all so lucky, and assuming they’re making it sweet enough these kinds of offers won’t be around all the time.

Ryan PoteetRyan Poteet
                          Participant

Just like voting, if I didn’t vote for that guy or gal, I ain’t going to complain. I don’t pay eric so I ain’t going to complain neither. Eric you have turned my plain old garage with no tools to having all kinds of stuff to fix most of the small things and a few of the intermediate things. Eric, thank you for teaching me and a bunch of my friends and being that friendly face that you rarely see anymore to help you learn the basics first and more. Like how I instruct weapons training; crawl, walk, and then run!!

PaulPaul
                            Participant

The other side of the coin is that ETCG has reached a “critical mass” and has garnered the attention of some of the big names in the auto business. That is a substantial feat.

twiggytwiggy
                              Participant

Congratulations Eric ! You have reached that level of influence and It is an honor when you start being asked to star in commercials.

No one should fault you for putting meat and potatoes on the table. We all have to eat, even you.

Keymaster

[quote=”RyanS93″ post=113615]I knew right when I watched this video that there would be a lot of push back and claims that Eric “sold out”. I really don’t know why people are getting so upset. Right off the bat you made it clear that this was a paid advertisement. If you had disguised a paid ad as a regular video that would be different. But I know you wouldn’t do that to us.

I say take any sort of paid ads you get offered and think you can be honest about, because I know you’ll take that money and invest it right back into improving content for us.

I saw that briansmobile1 also got a lot of flak for the trailer hitch video he did since that was an ad. I don’t know what the issue with that was either.

I trust Eric and know whatever he does is ultimately in the best interest of the fans because he understands how important that relationship is. Why not everyone else try to understand too?[/quote]

You’re awesome Ryan. Thank you for your comments. It really is great to know that there are reasonable fans out there that ‘get it’. It makes putting up with the haters easy.

One last point. I’ll admit that I did indeed ‘sell out’ on this one, however as you pointed out the profits are going right back into ETCG to make things better for those that need help with their automotive issues. This is what I set out to do in the beginning and that will never change.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Loading…