Menu

Exhaust Leak

• Creator
    Topic
    NickNick
    Participant

I recently cut out my catalytic converter because it was defective. I had a pipe made to fit in its place, but the original piping has been bent from me hacking away at it with a cutoff tool and not being able to get to the top, so it was bent a bit when I “ripped” the cat off at the final stages of removal.

The new pipe had to be bent in a way to make it fit, but now I have a gap all around it. The pipe fits inside the bigger 3″ pipe right from the Y and slips over the back end closer to the rear O2 sensor. The leak is coming from closer to the Y section where the pipe is slipped into the original pipe. I’ve tried JB weld and exhaust tape, but the force is just so strong coming through that gap that it just melted/blew it away.

I’ll put some pictures up later today. Any suggestions welcome. I have contacted a private car mechanic and he’s going to look at it on September 8th. He said it may or may not be weldable depending on the material of the pipe.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

This forum is more for ‘how to’ than it is for problem solving, you might get more suggestions on this if you post it to the Q&A forum. Good luck and keep us posted.

NickNick
        Participant

Well I was hoping to get some “How to” fix this exhaust leak that I’ve been having trouble with. Since you live 1.5 hours away maybe next time I go to King’s Island you could help me out 🙂

jbonejbone
          Participant

THIS THREAD IS FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE REPAIRS AND WANT TO SHARE THEIR HOW-TO DO IT SO OTHERS CAN LEARN IF THEY HAVING WHATEVER HOW-TO PROBLEM IT IS…IT;S NOT TO FIND OUT FROM SOMEONE ON HOW-TO DO THINGS, ASK YOUR QUESTIONS IN THE REPAIR QUESTIONS FORUM ON TOP OF THE DIRTY LOUNGE…

ETCGAdministratorETCGAdministrator
            Participant

I have moved the thread to help get Nick some answers.

twiggytwiggy
              Participant

Maybe you could try a pipe expander tool, it will help restore the round shape of the pipes and you could “tweak” the size the pipes relative to each other to get a snug fit.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…