Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Experience with Genius Extra Long Metric Close End 12-Point Wrenches

Experience with Genius Extra Long Metric Close End 12-Point Wrenches

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Experience with Genius Extra Long Metric Close End 12-Point Wrenches

• Creator
    Topic
    WDHewsonWDHewson
    Participant

Hi All:

As I do more automotive work (previously mostly motorcycles) the fasteners are tighter, so these extra long Genius tools appeal to me.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      IanGIanG
      Participant

Your link is bad. Are these the ones? [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENIUS-TOOLS-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-X-LONG-MM-WRENCH-SET-/270809649621?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0d8351d5#ht_2095wt_1185:2xhj2eqi]http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENIUS-TOOLS-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-X-LONG-MM-WRENCH-SET-/270809649621?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0d8351d5#ht_2095wt_1185

I[/url] got them and they are pretty good. They have zero offset so its not appropriate for everything. People seem to compare them to the similar double box end wrenches from snap on.

yarddog1950yarddog1950
        Participant

I bought a set of extra long box wrenches in the early 1970’s. I thought I needed one of them for an MGB that I had for a couple years. They were very pretty and very expensive. Then they sat in my toolbox for decades doing nothing. I gave them away in 2004. I imagine the poor fool who may be using them today doesn’t need them and is in the process of learning that ordinary length wrenches are easy to use if you like to apply the correct torque, and extra length box wrenches are just great for applying too much torque which is an effective way to to strip threads or break bolts.
          On the other hand, there may be a make of car today that has bolts and nuts that cannot be reached with an ordinary length wrench. Just remember that if you push hard on them, you can break bolts and strip threads.

WDHewsonWDHewson
          Participant

Thanks guys.

For some reason the link won’t copy into the note properly, even after an edit attempt, but you have it right. See Genius Tools DE-706M.

Usually I can get to things with a breaker bar and socket, but once in a while tight packaging of components limits space.

Gen3Gen3
            Participant

Wow, I agree with Yarddog. Those are pretty long. I have a set of the Craftsman professionals. They are longer than the original Craftsman combo wrenches, but not as longs as the Genius ones. The Craftsman professionals will fit into most cramped engines and work good underneath a car. The really long ones like the Genius sometimes are too long to be useful. The thing I like the best about the pro models is they are smooth and easy to wipe clean, Gen3

swagishswagish
              Participant

Quoted From WDHewson:

Hi All:

As I do more automotive work (previously mostly motorcycles) the fasteners are tighter, so these extra long Genius tools appeal to me. See link

http://www.geniustools.net/Products/Keyword.aspx?item=EXTRA+LONGI haven’t bought a set yet, so don’t have a feel for their quality and feel.

Has anyone used these?

Are there alternative “extra long metrics” that I should look at?

Thanks.

i havent used the genius ones. i usually stick with mac and snapon. i have a set of these from mac. when i worked on domestic cars i didnt use them much, i now work mostly on european cars where i use them alot. i would consider them a specialty tool, but i use em all the time, like on a master cylinder, ball joints, transmission bolts. and they are awesome for holding a nut when u run down the screw..

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…