Menu

Few brakes questions

• Creator
    Topic
    NoName nameNoName
    Participant

1. I see that most people here stress against ceramic pads and in favor of semi-metalic, but I don’t understand why. According to all comparisons online, ceramic are quieter, creates less dust and last longer. Is this not true? I am referring to a short, in-city commuter car…no racing or anything like that.

2. Honda says (as I assume all other manufacturers) to use only genuine Honda DOT3 brake fluid. What will happen if I use non Honda DOT3 brake fluid?! Will it really cause damage to the cylinder, lines and/or caliper?

3. Do I have to flush every now and then? What happens if I don’t flush? Is there any risk in flushing, such as causing leak in the seals or what have you?

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      GeorgeGeorge
      Participant

I’ve been using ceramics for some time now and have never had a noise or dust issue so I don’t understand the negativity.

As for the brake fluid Honda will want you to buy their brand from one of their dealers. Whatever you buy make sure it’s DOT 3.

Brake fluid is hydrophilic meaning that it will absorb water which is why its always best to use fluid from a sealed container. (i.e. fresh can). I just usually follow the owners manual on recommended fluid changes. Recommended flush intervals will help keep your brake system internals last longer.

none nonenone
        Participant

Every manufacturer will tell you to only use THEIR fluids. Sometimes, yes you should. Not the case with brake fluid. Any DOT3 fluid will do from any nearby parts store. Just make sure it says DOT3 and your car will be fine with a proper bleeding.

Brake fluid flushes are good periodically. The generic interval I’m used to seeing is 2years/24000 miles. I’ve heard recently that Honda has a 3 yr/30K interval. Like Pogo said, brake fluid can absorb moisture. This can turn the brake fluid acidic over time and cause internal corrosion of your brake parts. It also lowers the boiling point of the brake fluid which could cause brake fade if you’ve ever got to work your brakes in a hard way. There are millions of cars out there that are sorely overdue for any kind of fluid flush, but there’s probably no imminent threat staring you in the face at the moment if you don’t flush the fluid right now. Age & mileage of your car and your climate might make a liar out of me, but that’s between you and your car.

One thing I’ve noticed as a service repair tech is that it’s always easiest for me to sell brake fluid flushes on the most humid days. Brake fluid will drink the humidity right out of the air if you let it. When you’re ready to get the fluid flushed, try to aim for a dry day.

PaulPaul
          Participant

I try to the same type of pad material as the original OEM pads – replace with semi-metallic pads if the car originally came with semi-metallic pads. In my experience, ceramic pads do not have the same initial bite as semi-metallic pads. Also, the bite seems to be more linear with brake pedal travel and feels strange at first.

I’ve used the NAPA brand DOT3 fluid without issue.

I use the 3 year interval regardless of mileage. As stated above, the brake fluid is hygroscopic and readily absorbs moisture, which can corrode the metal lines and components in the brake system.

NoName nameNoName
            Participant

I wish I knew what the original pads were, it is a 2005 Accord with 98K miles on it and we’ve already done a couple of brake jobs on it (not through the dealer).

Andrew PhillipsAndrew Phillips
              Participant

[quote=”sbi” post=144464]I wish I knew what the original pads were, it is a 2005 Accord with 98K miles on it and we’ve already done a couple of brake jobs on it (not through the dealer).[/quote]
                Semi-metallic. The OEM part number is 43022-S84-A50.

MikeMike
                Participant

The reason I tell people to go with semi-metallic is that it’s abrasive against the brake rotor. This is desirable because under certain conditions, deposits can be left on the rotor. Such deposits can create a pulsation (undesirable), and abrasive brake pads keep rotors “sanded” clean. Soft pads (especially organic) will smear such deposits around instead of scrubbing them off. I don’t tolerate brake pulsations and have had the best luck with metallic pads for many years now.

NoName nameNoName
                  Participant

[quote=”Fopeano” post=144479]The reason I tell people to go with semi-metallic is that it’s abrasive against the brake rotor. This is desirable because under certain conditions, deposits can be left on the rotor. Such deposits can create a pulsation (undesirable), and abrasive brake pads keep rotors “sanded” clean. Soft pads (especially organic) will smear such deposits around instead of scrubbing them off. I don’t tolerate brake pulsations and have had the best luck with metallic pads for many years now.[/quote]

So where can one find good quality aftermarket semi-metallic pads for Accord? Everywhere you look, all you see is ceramic. Even in the Centric web-site – they clearly have semi-metallic pads but they won’t show up in their online catalog, only ceramic. Same with Amazon…I just can’t find good quality semi-metallic pads.

Thanks.

NoName nameNoName
                    Participant

Can anyone point to semi-metallic pads online? All I can find are ceramics.

Thanks.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                      Keymaster

Ceramics work fine. In fact, the OE pads for most Honda’s are ceramics.

You do not need to use Honda DOT 3, just DOT 3 fluid will work fine.

Flushing is something I only do if there’s a problem. I normally just change the brake fluid about every 30K and have never had issues with that.

NoName nameNoName
                        Participant

Thank you Eric.

That’s what I meant by “flushing”, replacing it using the method in this video.

Thanks again.

Dave OlsonDave
                          Participant

Ceramic pads are bad because they do not hold up to the heat, they tend to crack and fall off
                            Ceramic pads also tend to glaze over requiring removal and re-surfacing

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…