Menu

Finding top dead center

• Creator
    Topic
    Kyle WestermannKyle Westermann
    Participant

Hey everyone,
      I have a slight issue with my 2002 Subaru forester. I was driving down the highway at 60mph when my car lost most power, started lurching a little bit, and a couple lights came on the dashboard. I immediately pulled over and turned off the engine. Upon inspection I noticed I was missing my A/C, I thought it was odd this would cause such a problem, but I had it towed home. I replaced the A/C belt, the alternator belt(because why not, in already there), and the A/C tensioner pulley because it had appeared to seize and disintegrated causing the whole problem in the first place. Anyways after doing these things I tried to fire the car up to no avail, it tries but just won’t. I took everything apart and eventually found the missing A/C belt wedged between the timing belt and one of the pulleys as seen in the picture. So my question is, I know everything needs to be in time so I don’t destroy anything when running the engine, should I just pull out the A/C and then set it top dead center like normal or is the a way to check if I’m already screwed? Any help on what I should do would be appreciated.

Thanks,
      KW

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

How did the AC belt get theough the timing cover?
        Your chances of getting through this without getting your heads rebuilt are slim. Replace the timing belt and test compression. Be ready to pull the engine.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…