Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Floating gears – Bad for a car’s transmission?

Floating gears – Bad for a car’s transmission?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Automotive Discussion Floating gears – Bad for a car’s transmission?

• Creator
    Topic
    ShannonShannon
    Participant

Hello!

I have been driving stick since I learned how to drive (a number) of years ago. My question is this: when done properly, is it not good for a regular car (obviously no crashbox) to be float shifted? I’ve done it in some of my past cars and in all of my pickup trucks but never really knew if it was causing damage to the synchros or shift forks.

I rarely if ever miss a float, but just wanted to know if any of you kind folks had any idea. Thank ya much!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
      Participant

Can you explain more? The term ‘float shifting’ means nothing to me.

Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
        Participant

I have done it at times. I use to check synchros, or to freak out passengers. I was always told it damages the synchros anyway, and possibly gear teeth, but I really doubt it. Trans guys will tell you to never do it. I generally don’t, because if not done right it WILL chip gears and beat up synchros.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
          Participant

It wears out the dog teeth on the synchros unless you are absolutely perfect every time and without me tearing apart the transmission to prove it to you, you probably won’t believe me when I say you are not that good.

Even professionals that do it every day chip/wear away at the dog teeth on the synchronizers. When you miss is when you break dog teeth and chip/break regular gear teeth.

Truck drivers always think they are that good until they have a tranny guy look at the transmission or it gets sent in for warranty and it gets rejected and labeled as abuse. Though big rig manual transmission are almost all non-synchronized which means even less marjin for error.

Basically don’t do it. It is not worth the cost of a transmission or transmission rebuild. Btw, if a gear tooth brakes loose it can ruin the housing which means new transmission not just rebuild.

ShannonShannon
            Participant

There we go. THAT was the answer I was looking for…the how and the why. Thanks!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…