Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Flush old steering gear before installing new one?

Flush old steering gear before installing new one?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Flush old steering gear before installing new one?

• Creator
    Topic
    DarrellDarrell
    Participant

Hi all, this is related to my recent post asking about brands of replacement racks but this is a straight up installation question so I started a new thread.

I’ve read many recommendations to flush out the old rack before installing new one to clear out the system. ( pump, lines etc.)

However I have probably put several quarts of fluid through this car in the last several months. So it would seem to me it’s plenty flushed out already? Only thing is now that I think about it I didn’t use transmission fluid like Toyota recommends I just used regular cheap power steering fluid. The most recent court was red in color making me think it actually was transmission fluid anyways. So as writing this out I think I just answered my own question, but what do you guys think is the pre-flush necessary?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JamesJames
      Participant

With putting several quarts through in the recent past you are probably ok not to flush it further, however if I was doing it I would still flush it. Just requires taking off return line from pump and plugging hole, place return line in jug. Lift wheels and turn stop to stop without holding while adding new fluid to pump until fluid flows into jug clean.

On the Asian cars, I would recommend going with what they suggest.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…