Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Front driver side wheel is making a creaking noise? Update??

Front driver side wheel is making a creaking noise? Update??

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Front driver side wheel is making a creaking noise? Update??

• Creator
    Topic
    jspe8437jspe8437
    Participant

I got a 98 Ford Taurus and its making a creaking noise, kind of like a door opening, when I turn the wheel, more heard in a parked position or driving real slow, not to much if I’m driving at a normal speed. I took the wheel of with the front left side of the car elevated turned the wheel and did hear much, guess need the weight of the car to hear it. Does anyone know what this issue could be or what I can do to find the problem?

Update: OK seems like the creaking noise is coming from the tie rod end but there some noise along the tie rod also not to sure which one. The tie rod end rubber boot is cut half way around it and I stuck a screw driver in it and it had no grease and pulled some gunk out the uncut side of the boot that looking like dried up gum, so most likely its the tie rod end, the noise is in the wheel well so there no problem with the rack and pinion but would like to get some opinions about this update and if I do have a bad tie rod (not tie rod end) how often do they go bad and what would happen if they do or what would I hear, how does the tie rod connect in the rubber rippled boot because I can see the tie rod screws into the tie rod end?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MattMatt
      Participant
        Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
        Participant

You beat me too it beefy haha.
          Inspect all the boots on your tie rod ends, lower ball joints, and see if the rubber on your strut mount bearings are dry rotted.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
          Participant

+1 on the above posts and you guys are all over it as usual!

3SheetsDiesel3SheetsDiesel
            Participant

Those cars are notorious for bad lower ball joints, and they make a creaking sound when they’re worn out. That’s where I’d start looking if it was mine.

619DioFan619DioFan
              Participant

+ 1 on the above posts. also , I worked on a ford probe that made the same sound ( had steel wheels ) checked all the normal things and they all seemed fine. turned the wheel from the creaking side over&#1

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

Quoted From 3SheetsDiesel:

Those cars are notorious for bad lower ball joints, and they make a creaking sound when they’re worn out. That’s where I’d start looking if it was mine.

Yep the video is a great place to start but what you describe sounds very much like a ball joint issue and that’s where I would begin my search.

jspe8437jspe8437
                  Participant

Update: OK seems like the creaking noise is coming from the tie rod end but there some noise along the tie rod also not to sure which one. The tie rod end rubber boot is cut half way around it and I stuck a screw driver in it and it had no grease and pulled some gunk out the uncut side of the boot that looking like dried up gum, so most likely its the tie rod end, the noise is in the wheel well so there no problem with the rack and pinion but would like to get some opinions about this update and if I do have a bad tie rod (not tie rod end) how often do they go bad and what would happen if they do or what would I hear, how does the tie rod connect in the rubber rippled boot because I can see the tie rod screws into the tie rod end?

Also did I update this page ok?

MattMatt
                    Participant

There is an inner and outer tie rod on most or all vehicles, connected usually buy some type of adjuster for adjusting toe. Toe is… If you were looking at your front wheels from the top down, how they point towards or away from each other. I dunno if that makes sense, I’m really tired. But a completely dried out tie rod end could cause your creaking noise. Tie rods or any other suspension parts just wear out over time and mileage. There’s not a stamped time frame. A ripped boot that dumps all the grease would expedite the process though. Eventually, they could wear out to the point that they could break, leaving you with one wheel steering. I suppose you could put the car on jacks and have a buddy turn the wheels back and forth while you pinpoint the noise. Please PLEASE make sure you chock the rear wheels and put on the e-brake first. If you decide you need to replace the tie rod end, be prepared to drive the car straight to a shop that will align it for you. I’m looking for a video to help you…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKKToAsJ6iU

This is part two of Eric doing a power steering rack on a Toyota 4Runner. He removes the inner tie rod, and shows the part I was thinking of typing about counting threads on the outer tie rod, so that you can get it close enough to drive to a shop for said alignment.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                      Keymaster

Pretty much anytime you loose lubrication on a moving part and loose protection against contaminants getting into the area where lubrication should be that part is not long for this world. That said what you described sounds more like a ball joint issue to me so perhaps you have more than one thing making noise. You can often isolate the noise by putting your hand on the suspected part (make sure your fingers can’t get pinched) and moving the suspension slightly while you ‘feel’ for the noise. You probably need a ‘friend’ to help you with this but this is how I often deal with that situation.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…