Menu

Front Main Seal Leak, K24, CRV

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Front Main Seal Leak, K24, CRV

• Creator
    Topic
    Joseph NowakJoseph Nowak
    Participant

I replaced the front main seal on my CRV about 6 or 7 months ago, after changing it I noticed the oil leak got much worse. After diagnosing the issue I discovered it was the newly replaced front main seal. I pulled the pulley/harmonic balancer back off, made sure all of the surfaces were clean, bought a new gasket and replaced again. Unfortunately this is not fixing the leak. I am regretting changing the seal in the beginning as the leak was only minor then. I used Fel-Pro front main seal both times, the race on the harmonic balancer does not have any grooving or pitting, the whole surface visually appears perfect. I did main sure I put oil on the seal before I installed it and put the balancer back on.

Has anyone had any issues with changing front main seals before?
      Any issues with Fel-Pro? Usually this is my go to brand for gaskets.
      Is there a step I am missing during the replacement? The CRV service manual does not go into any detail on how to replace the gasket. (No procedures or specifications)
      Does anyone know the specification for the diameter of the sealing surface on the balancer? I do have the means to measure it if I can only get a spec.

I am getting to the point where I am either going to replace the balancer and/or buy a different brand front main seal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Front seals are pretty straight forward concerning installation.
        One thought is perhaps the retaining spring became dislodged ( if so equipped.)
        My thought is perhaps faulty gasket.
        Suggest using OEM.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…