Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Fuel line fitting removal. How do I do it?

Fuel line fitting removal. How do I do it?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Fuel line fitting removal. How do I do it?

• Creator
    Topic
    Matt BrandsemaMatt Brandsema
    Participant

I got a fuel pump from a salvage yard and the fuel line that goes into the fuel filter didn’t have a fitting on it. At first I thought it would be fine but after driving it for around 10 minutes, the line came off and gas went everywhere! I still have the old pump and I need to know how to take this off to transfer it to the fuel line on my car. Here is an image.
      http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9679/fuelline.jpg
      Thanks!!

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

Quoted From jbone:

Your pic didn’t work, and ya might want to provide make model year etc… and someone might know then to help ya

+1. You may need a fuel line quick disconnect tool available at most local parts stores. But a working pic would great for us 🙂

Participant

The pic doesn’t work? Really? It works for me on two different computers. Ijust pasted it into the URL bar. But I will get a new host. Sorry about that!!

EDIT: Here we go! (I just used the forum feature!)

dreamer2355dreamer2355
          Participant

What type of vehicle are you working on and did you see if a new fuel filter comes with that fitting?

Im assuming your refering to the round black plastic peice on that fuel line? You could try using a quick disconnect although im not sure if that will work in this case.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
            Participant

Here is a link to an aftermarket fuel filter available at Autozone –

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Az-Filters-Fuel-Filter/1998-Chevrolet-Cavalier/_/N-ja6waZ8gd7g?counter=1&filterByKeyWord=fuel+filter&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=830826_0_0_

There is an additional fitting with the fuel filter which is a quick disconnect type.

Hope this helps!

Participant

That might work, but I am not sure because the fitting in the female end allows it to clamp on to the male end. I don’t know if the fitting in that image will work, but I will find out and let you know what happens!

Participant

I am working on a 98 Chevy Cavalier. Yes it is the black part, and no I hadent thought of seeing if it came with a new fuel filter. I could always have the guy at the junk yard do it (since I have to bring him the old pump tomorrow) But I would rather learn how to do it myself

jbonejbone
                  Participant

Your pic didn’t work, and ya might want to provide make model year etc… and someone might know then to help ya

Participant

i had that same problem with my 97 cavilier. it was a real pain to remove. i ended up going back to auto zone after 2 hr’s of failed attempts to remove the line. you dont need a quick diconnect tool. it can be done with a small pry bar or a flat head screw driver. The guy at auto zone helped me. it looked like all he did was push the line in toward the filter and pryed back the black plastic piece away from the filter. becareful not to break the plactic piece on the line. as for the clear plastic piece on the new filter just remove it. i apologize for not being able to be more specific. but i did not remove it i just watched him do it. we ended up replacing the filter in the parking lot.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                      Keymaster

I don’t know if you need a special tool for that but those can be a pain especially when they get rusted up like that. It may take some time and effort to get it loose unfortunatlly, you might consider a good penetrating oil to start with.

Participant

According to my service manual, some models come with the fitting and some don’t. The problem is, the kind that doesn’t, does not come with any metal tabs in which to clip onto the fuel filter. I think the link dreamer sent might just solve my problem because that does provide an additional fitting on the filter in which to snap on to. I am having the guy from the junk yard come over to look at it today. I will keep you posted!

EDIT:
                          If worse comes to worse, I could always jury-rig something up to hold it in place. Because it DOES run without any leaks, it just pops off sometimes.

vipermechvipermech
                          Participant

You need to use lots and lots and lots of penatrating oil, wiggle it till it turns then push the plastic fitting into the hole. I like to use two small screwdrivers, one on each side to push it in. When its in all the way the filter will come out with a little twisting and cussing.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…