Menu

Fuel Pump ticking noise [Video!]

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Fuel Pump ticking noise [Video!]

• Creator
    Topic
    ReginaldReginald
    Participant

Ever since I bought this car back in January, this ticking noise has been coming from under the car when the engine is running. At first I thought it was coming from the catalytic converter, but further inspection revealed that it’s definitely the fuel pump. Haven’t done a fuel pressure test yet, but there are definitely performance issues with the car regarding lack of fuel/no fuel conditions causing intermittent stalling, low power and misfiring. It’s an electric fuel pump, although the car is carbureted. Not sure if the fuel pump is OEM or not.

Could the fuel pump be bad? It seems to work, but maybe it’s just weak?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Are you 100% sure that noise is coming from the fuel tank?, or is it an external pump?
        That sounds awfully distinct to be an in tank pump.

And to your question:
        Yes you can have a failing fuel pump, but still have it supplying fuel just not at the correct volume or pressure

ReginaldReginald
        Participant

[quote=”nightflyr” post=171198]Are you 100% sure that noise is coming from the fuel tank?, or is it an external pump?
          That sounds awfully distinct to be an in tank pump.

And to your question:
          Yes you can have a failing fuel pump, but still have it supplying fuel just not at the correct volume or pressure[/quote]

Yeah I forgot to mention that – it’s an external pump, not in-tank. So fortunately it’s pretty easy to get to. What you’re seeing in the video is just the bracket that holds it in place.

I’m asking because internet searches have some people saying the noise is normal, and others saying it’s not and something is wrong.

Participant

Can’t say if it is normal or not..
            But I’ve never heard that from any type of fuel pump.
            Might suggest a fuel pressure test and volume test if you have or can get the specs.

If it were me though….
            I’d replace it.

ReginaldReginald
            Participant

[quote=”nightflyr” post=171204]Can’t say if it is normal or not..
              But I’ve never heard that from any type of fuel pump.
              Might suggest a fuel pressure test and volume test if you have or can get the specs.

If it were me though….
              I’d replace it.[/quote]

I have the specs in the service manual. Since it’s carbureted, it doesn’t need a lot of fuel pressure.

MikeMike
              Participant

Does the car also have an old-school mechanical pump under the hood, or does the electric pump provide all of the fuel pressure?

If that noise really is the electric pump, I’d replace it. Now, considering the age of the vehicle, it’s possible that rust and other tank gunk got into the pump, resulting in the pump’s failure. If you simply replace the pump, you’ll be setting yourself up for another pump failure. I would recommend removing the tank and doing a drain and flush to see what comes out, or worse still, what remains inside.

Participant

I would check to see if there is a drain plug on the fuel tank.
                  If so, your life got a lot easier.

You never gave any specifics on your vehicle.. make, model, year
                  That would be useful.

ReginaldReginald
                  Participant

The electric fuel pump is the only fuel pump on the car. The car is a 1984 Honda Accord sedan. The car’s been here in Southern California its whole life (as far as I know), and there is no rust present anywhere on the vehicle.

Participant

Well I can say that I’ve not heard that from any 84′ Honda
                      So I have to assume the pump is failing.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…