Menu

gas gage issues

• Creator
    Topic
    pbatemonpbatemon
    Participant

I have a 2001 dodge ram v6 and at random times the gas gage will just stop reading, the gas light will also come on, I replaced the the fuel sender unit a few months back, it seemed to have fixed the problem for a few weeks, now recently (been happening for about a week) has started again, sometimes if I cycle the key a few times it will read once more, any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BradBrad
      Participant

Might want to double check electrical connections on a intermittent issue like that.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
        Keymaster

+1, I would also recommend checking the electrical wiring and connections. Given the behavior, I don’t think it would be an issue inside the cluster. I think you may find the problem in the wires or a connector somewhere. If you strike out there, you might want to recheck the installation of the sending unit to see if it’s in good order.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-electrical-problems

Good luck and keep us posted

pbatemonpbatemon
          Participant

I have checked all the connections, and I haven’t been lucky, it’s worked for the last 3 days then suddenly stopped move more, I will be removing the bed Thursday and attempting to clean the contacts on the fuel sender, I read online sometimes they get gummed up and dirty, I will let you know how it goes!

none nonenone
            Participant

My immediate concern would be the brand of fuel pump used. I have a lot of experience with Airtex fuel pumps. They’re usually the most commonly available pump at auto parts stores and I’ve personally experienced well over a 75% failure rate with them. I just put an Airtex pump into a truck a couple weeks ago and immediately had to reschedule my customer for the warranty repair because the sending unit was no good in it.

pbatemonpbatemon
              Participant

Have you had any luck with cleaning the contacts of the fuel sender off? I saw someone say it on a dodge dorm, I really don’t wanna blow another $200 on a fuel assembly, but right now I’m just counting miles to fill up. Kinda scary

Andrew PhillipsAndrew Phillips
                Participant

Did you put on a new float or re-use the old one? If you re-used the old one, that might be the problem, as it could be cracked or saturated with fuel. Bad floats have caused intermittent faults such as this.

pbatemonpbatemon
                  Participant

I believe it was a brand new float, but I will check it, I’m gonna pull the assembly out and see what’s going on, thank you all for the input, I will keep you all posted!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…