Menu

Gasket/seal job now missing

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Gasket/seal job now missing

• Creator
    Topic
    Brian HoughtbyBrian Houghtby
    Participant

Did a upper and lower spark plug tube seals and valve cover gasket job on my 94 accord. Now I have a pretty bad miss when I started it. Should have I adjusted the valves since the rocker assembly was removed? Would an out of adjustment valve cause a miss? I had no misses prior to this repair.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricWaterTruckEricWaterTruck
      Participant

To do those seals, don’t you have to take the rocker assembly off? Don’t those rockers open and close the valves….I am sure I have seen an ETCG video where he did the exact same thing, and I’m pretty sure it is good practice to adjust the valves afterwards. Good luck!!

I would try to find that video, he said what the gaps are supposed to be for in&ex and the torque settings too I think.

Participant

I used that video for reference when I did the seal job. He didn’t mention adjusting the valves though is why I asked. I did have some issues with one end cap coming off, a couple rockers and a cam cap but it went back together ok.

EricWaterTruckEricWaterTruck
          Participant

Well poop 🙂 things are blending together in my memory. I think there is another video then for adjusting the valves? Might be good to have a partner to spin the engine slowly so you can tell them when to stop.

college mancollege man

If there was no mis before the work and the valves
              were not touched.I would be looking at spark plugs
              and wires.

Participant

I did do new NGK’s. Wires looked to be fairly new. I just bought the car in November so not sure though.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

I don’t know if your problem would be the result of misadjusted valves. They really shouldn’t be that far out when you do that job. I adjust them just for good measure when doing that job just to make sure everything goes back together correctly. I would be checking your work and also looking for an ignition system problem. Aftermarket wires are often a problem on Honda’s. If you have NGK plugs as you say they’re probably fine but I’ve seen some aftermarket wires pull apart internally causing a miss like that.

Participant

Did cap and rotor and gapped plugs. They were all under 1.1mm. Purrs like a kitten now! Thanks all!

college mancollege man

Glad to hear it worked out. 🙂

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                      Keymaster

Thanks for the update and for using the ETCG forum.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…