Menu

GDI Engine

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion GDI Engine

• Creator
    Topic
    MarkMark
    Participant

Is there anything i can do to prevent carbon build up in GDI engine ? (2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.4L Theta engine 42.000 miles). Should i even worry about it?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      James P GrossoJames P Grosso
      Participant

There was a post about CRC GDI cleaner.

I think the service manual recommends a fuel system additive/cleaner every 10,000 miles (at least my KIA 2.0 Turbo does?)
        The GDI high pressure fuel pump went out on it at 58,000 miles so it was covered under warranty.

JamesJames
        Participant

My understanding is on the GDI , added cleaner into the gas would help with injectors and pistons however it will not cover intake valves. I like seafoam and I use it in tank and through throttle body to cover both about every 10,000 for general maintenance. Some say it is like preference of coke or pepsi so the cleaner is up to you. Chrisfix did some interesting videos on cleaners including multiple tried brands.

MarkMark
          Participant

Thank You guys. I will try BG44K it’s not perfect solution for GDI, but at least easy to use 🙂

GregGreg
            Participant

The best course of action to prevent build up is to use top tier fuels. The reason why additives in the tank don’t work very well is because the fuel is injected into the combustion chamber and not the in the intake so no fuel washed over the valves. In the most extreme cases I end up pulling the intake manifold off and cleaning the valves by scraping the carbon off of them and then using a shop vac to suck up the chunks before I put it back together. We have had also been able to use BG intake clean injected into the throttle body on some of the lighter cases.

Jason WhiteJason White
              Participant

The traditional gas fuel injection that is in the intake kept intake valves clean because it kept spraying them with gasoline preventing the buidlup of carbon/soot on the intake valves. With GDI/DIG you don’t have that due to the injector in the combustion chamber it can’t do this. Be careful about putting any chemicals down the intake, especially these over the counter DIY solutions. You can do more harm than good. Not only is there the potential for a hydrolock but with some sensors the chemicals can damage them and some of these DIY chemicals don’t really clean very well. Your in-tank cleaners may help the injectors on a maintenance aspect but will do nothing for carbon buildup on valves. Use top tier gasoline. That Shell V-power is really good stuff, expensive, but good stuff . I’ve also been a fan of Chevron.

zerozero
                Participant

Get an oil catch can and shorten your oil change intervals.

Why? Because the PCV system flows small amounts of oil vapour through the intake and modern cars have longer service intervals, which means that the oil will be holding more contaminants near the end of it’s life. Oil carrying more contaminants is more likely to leave deposits behind.

MarkMark
                  Participant

@Jasonw1178 you’re right, Hyundai serviceman warned me about putting any chemicals down the intake (if something wrong happen I will lose warranty). As @gmule suggested, he told me to use top tier fuels and https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Hyundai-00232-19047-Complete-Cleaner/dp/B00AKYOH8W with ever oil change.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…