Menu

Grinding noise as I drive

• Creator
    Topic
    Keith WaitsKeith Waits
    Participant

I am getting a grinding noise as I drive my car. It seems to start when I apply my brakes for the first time but the grinding continues as I drive without pressing down on the brake pedal. My car brakes fine, it does not shake or pull to one side or another. I also checked my pads and they seem to be evenly worn and have about 75% life remaining. Maybe this is just a coincidence, but I just rotated my tires and this started to happen. I don’t think that there is any connection, but thought I would mention it.

Any help would be great before I just replace both calipers hoping that solves it.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

sounds like the caliper is dragging.jack up the front end
        and hand spin each wheel. see if the noise is there.here is
        a great link to help you further.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/diagnosing-noises-in-your-car

BrettBrett
        Participant

I had a similar issue on my wifes Civic around 90,000. I would brake, hear a small grind , release the brake and the grind would still be there for minutes until it would just stop. I found that if i tapped the brake pedal with a fast hard jab it would go away. I finally got it into our mechanic and it was a sticky caliber. At times when i pressed the brake pedal it would stick and hold the brake pads down just enough to make contact with rotors. Hence the grinding sound. Replaced the caliper and no more problems. Hope that helps.

TomTom
          Participant

Since you just rotated the tires before this started happening, I would go over the lug nuts and make certain that all of them are tight, preferably with a torque wrench if at all possible. Sometimes if the wheel doesn’t settle down perfectly even on the hub / rotor, after you drive a few miles, the wheel pops into place, leaving several of the lug nuts lose, and that can make some odd noises.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

It may be rust or debris in the brake assembly. It could also be the splash shield for the front brakes. It’s actually quite common. I cover it in detail in this article.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/diagnosing-noises-in-your-car

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…