Menu

Hand pseudo-restore Q

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The Body Shop Hand pseudo-restore Q

• Creator
    Topic
    Jake FJake F
    Participant

Heyo. So my lovely beater got through a summer of Arizona sun and this turkey vacation is time for reconditioning the exterior. I’m half newbie, half experienced in exterior detail but by no means good at this sh.. stuff. I’ve been working on a faded, oxidized panel [by hand] for about 30 minutes and luckily I still have clearcoat and it’s reviving nicely. I’m using Turtle Wax premium compound with Meguiar’s standard round foam pads for application and removal. I have a few general questions about post-wash/clay/compound and about my products if you will.

Should I wash the car after I compound and before a polish?
      After polishing, how long should I wait for the polymers to essentially soak into my paint, if at all?
      Is there a way to rig up some sort of hand strap system with these small foam pads so application and removal is easier?

Here’s my products and steps I’ve meticulously thought about that I think will bring my $0.50 whore back to a $1 stripper:
      Turtle Wax Compound
      Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish
      Meguiar’s 7 Glaze
      Meguiar’s Ultimate Paste Wax

I’m tired of doing a detail, then 4 washes later the car looks dull again.
      Comments, questions, opinions and critiques are much appreciated.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Gary W.Gary W.
      Participant

Firstly, I’ve never had good luck with Turtle wax products.

Then there’s that issue with the Arizona sun. I live in So Cal and my van and travel trailer are parked outside so they really take a beating. I keep my van roof clean and waxed with a good paste wax. The travel trailer roof gets “conditioning” twice a year.

I also have a boat outside and it is protected by a Sunbrella boat cover. It’s one of the most expensive cover materials but it’s worth it.

Can’t give you any advice on compound or clay bar stuff because I believe in prevention in the first place.

Good luck.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…