Menu

Head Gasket Job

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Girls in the Garage Head Gasket Job

• Creator
    Topic
    MeghanMeghan
    Participant

I am doing a head gasket replacement on my 96 Tacoma 2RE. I have the head removed and have already had it machined and pressure tested at the machine shop. All good. Now painstakingly cleaning the block. Such a pain. Anyway, are there any recommendations as to something else I should change while I’m here? Also, I’m poor, otherwise I’d be changing my chain and water pump. So, really, this is for small things like a PCV and such. Thanks!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MeghanMeghan
      Participant

Also, it is a 2.4L with timing chain. This old baked on gasket is tough without being able to sand it much. I am afraid that I already have a lot of dirt in my coolant passages and cylinders, and no compressed air. Will take a vacuum to it.

MeghanMeghan
        Participant

Also, I posted in the wrong forum. Sigh* Rough day.

Lee AnnLee Ann

[quote=”Verano” post=146476]Also, it is a 2.4L with timing chain. This old baked on gasket is tough without being able to sand it much. I am afraid that I already have a lot of dirt in my coolant passages and cylinders, and no compressed air. Will take a vacuum to it.[/quote]

Make sure not to gouge the mating surface(s) as you are prepping it. I have used a razor blade while applying gentle pressure when prepping my for my valve cover gasket replacement. I might suggest using a plastic tool i.e. scraper (like a painter uses for applying spackling compound), on the metal surface to reduce the chances of damaging the mating surface. It is too important to risk messing it up.

Lee AnnLee Ann

[quote=”Verano” post=146473]I am doing a head gasket replacement on my 96 Tacoma 2RE. I have the head removed and have already had it machined and pressure tested at the machine shop. All good. Now painstakingly cleaning the block. Such a pain. Anyway, are there any recommendations as to something else I should change while I’m here? Also, I’m poor, otherwise I’d be changing my chain and water pump. So, really, this is for small things like a PCV and such. Thanks![/quote]

I have recently purchased a timing belt and water pump kit at Rock Auto for my 02 Saturn LW300 for a little over $100.00. While you have access, you should replace those components, if you can. Way cheaper than having to buy a remanned engine later.

Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
              Participant

There are plastic razor blades you can get. Try that. Steel blades on aluminum risky business.

MeghanMeghan
                Participant

I have used a razor blade, and was careful not to nick anything. No luck getting it absolutely clean. There is still some old gasket baked on, but I will use a hand plane sander to finish it off. It is tough without power tools. Thanks for the info. I may get a water pump while Im here. Any recommendations for a brand to go with?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…