Menu

heater core replacement

• Creator
    Topic
    chevyazchevyaz
    Participant

I have a 1994 gmc truck with a/c and my heater core is on the fritz. Is it very hard to replace? Has anyone did this before that can give me some tips? Its not clogged or anything like that. The outlets that come thru the firewall are rusted and there is a small leak there.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      david maciasdavid macias
      Participant

I’ve changed heatier cores on several front drive cars . The challenge is getting to the heater box. This usually requires removing a good portion of the dash. With a.c. you might also need to have refrigerant evacuated because the evaporation coil is in the same box you might have to remove. Your truck might be easier. Check a repair manual – maybe see if your public library has alldata account that will give you access to the specific repair procedure. This isn’t technically difficult but is long and involved . So do some research and decide if you are willing to take it on.

davedave
        Participant

Yes… the dreaded heater core. Probably the most difficult HVAC repair to perform. If you are lucky, it might be as easy to replace as the one seen in this video:

a classic example of a cheap part, but a tremendous cost in labor.

college mancollege man

does not look to bad according to the video.
            keep us posted.

chevyazchevyaz
            Participant

Wow thats it just like my truck. Thats simple to do. I had a shop give me a quote at about 500 bucks they said you have to rip the dash out. What! Thats a rip off! I also read on another GM truck forum last night it took them 30 min to get it out.

Shaun_300Shaun_300
              Participant

Haven’t done one on a 94ish vehicle, did one on dad’s old 1988 truck and it was simple, there was an access panel under the passenger side dash to remove it, remove the two heater hoses under the hood and you’re done. A 94 might be different but if I remember right the dashes are basically the same so hopefully it’s an easy job.

Steffen NyegaardSteffen Nyegaard
                Participant

[quote=”Wrench Turner” post=54110]Yes… the dreaded heater core. Probably the most difficult HVAC repair to perform. If you are lucky, it might be as easy to replace as the one seen in this video:

a classic example of a cheap part, but a tremendous cost in labor.[/quote]

I am so glad you wrote that. Ever since I changed a heater core in a 99 taurus I have hated them. Time consuming and hard to get to and care is needed to not break plastic tabs etc. on dash panels.

If yours is as easy as posted go ahead OP, but if it is diffcult, can’t you just seal the leak with a rubber tube wrapped around the pipe and one of these ?

chevyazchevyaz
                  Participant

Well took the heater hoses off and the leak was in the pipe that comes out of the firewall I wrapped it with some rubber hose and double clamped it and ran the truck for a good while and no leaks I also made sure their was no air in the system too (thanks Eric) and all is good. Thanks for all your comments and help. I will say this forum is kick ass! Thanks guys.

college mancollege man

I take it no replacement then?

chevyazchevyaz
                      Participant

That is correct College Man no replacement.I finaly had time to work on my truck and its all good now. Thanks for the help.

college mancollege man

Thanks for the update. 🙂

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…