Menu

Help me identify this unknown part?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Help me identify this unknown part?

• Creator
    Topic
    ReginaldReginald
    Participant

1984 Honda Accord, 1.8L, carbureted engine, automatic transmission.

Under the air cleaner housing, there is a harness going up into the air intake duct, where it connects to some mysterious grommet-looking thing. My service manual makes no mention of this, I can’t find any information about it online, yet it doesn’t look aftermarket or anything like that – looks OE to me. I have been trying to identify the intake air temperature sensor on this car, which my service manual specifically acknowledges but does not show what it looks like; and online it shows the sensor as being what my manual labels as “air bleed valves” (two of them). Very confusing.

Harness on the underside of the air cleaner housing:

The mysterious grommet-looking object the harness goes into:

Air bleed valves and the location of the mystery object:

Tested the harness leads with a multimeter. Has continuity, but no resistance:

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jake FJake F
      Participant

Is the rubber on the black wire in the first picture sealed? Maybe it’s some sort of diagnostic harness? It probably wouldn’t hurt to hook up a MM to it and see if any numbers fluctuate under various RPMs. Not responsible for any damages. Just my curious response 🙂

ReginaldReginald
        Participant

[quote=”creativepotato” post=178529]Is the rubber on the black wire in the first picture sealed? Maybe it’s some sort of diagnostic harness? It probably wouldn’t hurt to hook up a MM to it and see if any numbers fluctuate under various RPMs. Not responsible for any damages. Just my curious response :)[/quote]

I can twist it around easily but it doesn’t want to pull out when I tug on it. I don’t think it’s a diagnostic harness as this car doesn’t have a computer (’84 Accords all had a vacuum-operated “control box”, Honda’s precursor to an actual ECU which came out in 1985). If not for the wet weather over the last couple of days I would have tested the harness while revving like you suggested.

transman304transman304
          Participant

Air/Ambient temperature sensor.

ReginaldReginald
            Participant

[quote=”transman304″ post=178649]Air/Ambient temperature sensor.[/quote]

Details please! 🙂

I did finally find a honda parts website that shows details for the air cleaner assembly and all components on my 1984 Honda Accord, including the mysterious harness object.

Shows it being a “Switch Assembly, Air Temp.” yet at the same time, it shows the air bleed valves as “Sensor, Air In.” – confusing much? :unsure:

transman304transman304
              Participant

34 in parts breakdown. Honda #Part Number: 37300-PD2-661. Looks to be discontinued. Haven’t a clue to what the values should be. I will try to do some research on the spec tomorrow.

ReginaldReginald
                Participant

I removed the plate that was blocking me from easily getting to the object in the air duct. It took some effort with a flat-tip screwdriver, but I was finally able to free the object:

Pulled the air bleed valves too. The second one appears to be bent and/or stuck closed, but I have no idea really.

Replace?

Rick CropperRick Cropper
                  Participant

You can’t really get parts for that stuff anymore and those 80’s Japanese carbs are very complex and need all their extraneous vacuum controls. Trust me none of that stuff is worth your time.

Rip it all off and install a Weber DGV. Performance, and likely economy will increase and they are very simple. I did one not long ago on an 88 Accord. It was like a different car.

Rick

ReginaldReginald
                    Participant

[quote=”GeneralDisorder” post=179088]You can’t really get parts for that stuff anymore and those 80’s Japanese carbs are very complex and need all their extraneous vacuum controls. Trust me none of that stuff is worth your time.

Rip it all off and install a Weber DGV. Performance, and likely economy will increase and they are very simple. I did one not long ago on an 88 Accord. It was like a different car.

Rick[/quote]

I’ll only move to a different carb if the current one fails to pass smog at some point or becomes too worn/damaged (throttle shafts, etc). The vacuum system in that car is extremely complicated, but I’ll stick with it for the time being. Call me stubborn 😛

ReginaldReginald
                      Participant

Well look what I accidentally found waaaaaaaay in the back of my service manual today:

Rick CropperRick Cropper
                        Participant

A Weber DGV kit is about $300- $400. And all the problems go away…..

Trust me on this. You don’t want to spend your valuable time on that factory carb setup. Even if you get it “fixed” it won’t be half as fun as a progressive Weber.

I do this for a living. Actually for four livings – my employees rely on my decisions being the best for our customers. I speak from experience – just get the Weber kit and move on to better things in your life than tinkering with 80’s Japanese emissions carbs. It’s painful to watch you waste your time.

Rick

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…