Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Hit a pothole hard, messed my steering up.

Hit a pothole hard, messed my steering up.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Hit a pothole hard, messed my steering up.

• Creator
    Topic
    TeenageAngstTeenageAngst
    Participant

My 1995 Accord hit a pothole hard enough to bend the steel rim on the front right side. I took it to a shop ASAP and got the rim hammered out and a new tire fitted. I thought I was good to go, but now the car keeps pulling to the right. I don’t hear any noises, but idk what to look for or check.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

[quote=”TeenageAngst” post=87670]My 1995 Accord hit a pothole hard enough to bend the steel rim on the front right side. I took it to a shop ASAP and got the rim hammered out and a new tire fitted. I thought I was good to go, but now the car keeps pulling to the right. I don’t hear any noises, but idk what to look for or check.[/quote]

Simply stated… get an alignment. ..

george gonzalezgeorge gonzalez
        Participant

Something got bent, like a quarter of an inch. You won’t see it except in how the car steers. Usually an alignment fixes it.

TeenageAngstTeenageAngst
          Participant

Yo so I took it to the shop for an alignment and they’re telling me I got too much play in my outer tie rod. We’ll see how it is once I get it back.

Jeff KetchemJeff Ketchem
            Participant

Curious as to what you find out.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
              Keymaster

Yea, you can’t have any play in the suspension parts when you do an alignment. Keep us posted. That bad tie rod might just be the problem.

TeenageAngstTeenageAngst
                Participant

I got the tie rod replaced and yeah that seemed to be the issue since it’s behaving a lot better now. Also in my poking around I found my power steering fluid was a little low. I thought maybe I busted something and that it was now leaking, but I’ve been keeping an eye on it for the past few days and it hasn’t moved, so it might just be a pinhole leak somewhere in the line, not really sure. I was gonna grab a bottle of PS fluid tomorrow, top it off, mark it with a sharpie and keep watching it.

Hitman68Hitman68
                  Participant

Have an alignment done? possible leak from rack at effected tie rod side? need more info

Hitman68Hitman68
                    Participant

sometimes they leak inside the inner tie rod boot

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                      Keymaster

There are lots of places where PS fluid can leak. I normally start by cleaning up all the suspected parts and then driving it for a while. This can make the leak easier to find. You can also use dye. More information in this article.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/finding-and-fixing-fluid-leaks

Keep us posted.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…