Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Holding camshaft still on Ford Zetec engine – vice grips?

Holding camshaft still on Ford Zetec engine – vice grips?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Holding camshaft still on Ford Zetec engine – vice grips?

• Creator
    Topic
    Gareth RandallGareth Randall
    Participant

I’m gearing up to do a timing belt change on my 2002 Ford Escape with the 2.0L Zetec engine. I will need to be able to hold the camshafts steady while I break loose (and tighten) the camshaft sprocket bolts.

The FSM says to use a camshaft holding tool (kind of like a pin wrench), but it’s a relatively expensive item for something I will only use once and I’d also have to buy one online and wait for it to turn up.

Looking around online, people seem to be using vice grips on a “safe” part of the camshaft. Can anyone here confirm that this is a valid alternative?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

If you use the vise grip approach, it would be very advisable to cushion with an old belt or other firm rubber layer. I like timing belts, but it looks like that may be too bulky for this situation.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
        Participant

Is this the tooling required?

Ummm, I see that it can be purchased pretty cheap actually..
          https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-24448-Camshaft-Alignment-Tool/dp/B00YVLA0DG
          https://www.amazon.com/STARRICH-Camshaft-Locking-Setting-Alignment/dp/B073V445S6/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S7HA8ZDK8NR9D1RGDJNF
          And there are quite a few more listing in a google search.
          So why would you risk doing damage to the engine to pinch a few bucks on the correct tooling???????

Gareth RandallGareth Randall
          Participant

No, those are NOT the tools required.

I already have those tools. The pins are used for setting the engine at TDC and the flat bar is used for locking the camshafts while the belt is removed and while the sprockets are off.

However, the bar CANNOT be used to hold the camshafts while the sprocket bolts are broken loose. The FSM is explicitly clear about this; attempting to use the bar to hold the camshafts still while breaking the torque on the sprocket bolts will result in damage to both the bar and the camshafts. Ditto when you re-torque them.

This is why the camshafts have to be held another way. The FSM says to use a special camshaft sprocket holding tool (which is relatively expensive), but it seems that it’s pretty common to use vice grips on a “safe” part of the shaft.

Would you mind taking the time to read posts properly and be sure of what you’re talking about before you throw around unfounded allegations like “pinching a few bucks” again? Thanks.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
            Participant

Oh I did read the post..
              Did you read the response????
              [i][color=red][size=5][u][b]Is this the tooling required?
              And there are quite a few more listing in a google search.[/b][/u][/size][/color][/i]
              Now pick your poison…..

Billy AndrewsBilly
              Participant

Nightflyr, don’t engage with this douche. He doesn’t deserve your help.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…