Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Holding the hub still while torquing axle nut

Holding the hub still while torquing axle nut

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Holding the hub still while torquing axle nut

• Creator
    Topic
    Gareth RandallGareth Randall
    Participant

I have a 2003 Ford Escape that requires the axle nut to be torqued to 214 ft/lbs with the wheels in the air. This is a problem for me as I’m having to work completely alone, so I have nobody to hold their foot on the brake.

I’ve read a suggestion that you can use a long screwdriver in the brake rotor vents to hold the hub still. This sounds ideal, but is there a risk of snapping the screwdriver while applying that much torque?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

I use an electric impact wrench while the wheel is in the air. This seats the bearing properly without reaching full torque. At that point you can put full weight on it. I then put it on the ground and torque it.

Another technique I’ve used is put lug nuts on 2 studs. Then use a long prybar on those nuts to hold the hub still. Like the electric impact wrench, this won’t get you anywhere near 200 lb-ft.

Gareth RandallGareth Randall
        Participant

Ah, that’s interesting. I’ve already used my electric impact (the 1/2″ Ingersoll Rand W7150, so a pretty beefy one) to tighten the nut until the hub started turning with it. So you reckon that’s now tight enough to drop safely onto the deck for final torquing?

Billy AndrewsBilly
          Participant

I do, never an ill effect.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…