Menu

Honda Accord Timing Belt Video

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG Suggestion Box Honda Accord Timing Belt Video

• Creator
    Topic
    mkcmkc
    Participant

I suggest you delete the portion of the video about stuffing cylinder #1 full of rubber hose for breaking loose the crank bolt. I used it over the weekend and it resulted in damage to the valves in my engine. Per the directions, this was done on the compression stroke with all four valves closed. It resulted in zero valve lash on all four valves so it either cupped the valves or caused a bearing failure of the valve seats. After readjusting the valves, the engine is running, but with more valve noise that it should have. I don’t know the full extent of the damage yet. I wish I had given this more thought before doing it because it is just not a good idea. It typically takes around 600 ft-lbs to break this bolt loose on an engine that pumps out 150 ft-lbs of torque. Something is going to be overstressed. BUY THE TOOL!!!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

Sorry to hear about your trouble but I actually said in the video that using the tool was the way to go and to only use the hose as a last resort. If you did the procedure according to what was shown in the video there is very little risk to the valves because they would be closed at the time and as a result it would be impossible to bend them. There may be some other issue here that may have been overlooked.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…